Trub & Protein Rests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a Blonde/Pale beer with NZ hops (Nelson Sauvin.) I used 50% Weyermann Pils, 25% Briess White Wheat, 20% Weyermann Pale, & 5% Golden Naked Oats.
I decided to do a brief 15 minute protein rest at 122F and I noticed something different. With 6 gallons at boil end, I had an excessive amount of break material. In order to get my 5.5 gallons into my fermentor, I had to carry over quite a bit of trub. I'm not concerned about having some trub in the fermentor, but have any of you had this phenomenon?

Hot break or cold break? With that much wheat, I would expect extra break material - both hot and cold. The conventional wisdom is that cold break in the fermenter provides extra nutrients for the yeast. It is generally less desirable to have hot break in the fermenter

Hot break or cold break? With that much wheat, I would expect extra break material - both hot and cold. The conventional wisdom is that cold break in the fermenter provides extra nutrients for the yeast. It is generally less desirable to have hot break in the fermenter

Cold break. I generally get more break material when brewing with wheat, but this is excessive. The hot break seemed somewhat normal but when chilling...geez...there were MASSIVE globs in there.

Latest posts

Back