How to transport a starter for brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I decided the easiest way to keep my starter safe was to buckle her up! Gonna be weird explaining this if I get pulled over. :)

image-27222470.jpg

I used to transport FULL carboys that way back in the 90's....on Detroit freeways! :drunk:

I just use my Rubbermaid 20qt cooler to transport either my 2L or 3L flask from home to where I brew. I make the starter two days before brew-day so that I can cold crash it the night before. Then the cooler goes either in the passenger side foot well, or behind the passenger side seat (I have a Ranger with the supercab). I toss a few cold packs in, along with the hops I'll be using that night and it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do y'all need to transport your starters? The farthest mine go is from the downstairs kitchen to the upstairs kitchen.

Why do y'all need to transport your starters? The farthest mine go is from the downstairs kitchen to the upstairs kitchen.

Because my *******, neurotic landlord won't let me brew where I live. SO, I go to a friends place where we both brew batches at the same time. Since I'm using propane burners, it would be pretty much impossible to hide the activity at home. Plus, the above mentioned LL lives on the first floor of the two family house. I look forward to brewing at home with my next place (waiting to see which of four jobs I'm going after pan out, then I'm moving).

scurry64 said:

Ha, my buddy wanted to host brew day. So I brought the grain and yeast! He supplied the space, water and hops.

Because my *******, neurotic landlord won't let me brew where I live. SO, I go to a friends place where we both brew batches at the same time. Since I'm using propane burners, it would be pretty much impossible to hide the activity at home. Plus, the above mentioned LL lives on the first floor of the two family house. I look forward to brewing at home with my next place (waiting to see which of four jobs I'm going after pan out, then I'm moving).

Your neurotic landlord has no legal recourse to stop you, unless you're violating an open flame town bylaw with your burners, in which case all he can do is report you. Common areas are common - available to all tenants for "use and enjoyment."

Only mention this because I am a landlord, and looked it up. Fight the landlord, then withhold rent based on your access to common areas being restricted unreasonably, and let him take you to court. The way it will end is you either get to brew whenever, or he pays you to move. MA is so tenant biased it's absurd, but in this case it works in your favor.

Alls I'm gonna add is that starter contains alcohol, and that flask would be considered an open container. I'm not fussing anyone who does this, just want to point out that transporting a starter is essentially driving with an open container, so keep that in mind. :D

Your neurotic landlord has no legal recourse to stop you, unless you're violating an open flame town bylaw with your burners, in which case all he can do is report you. Common areas are common - available to all tenants for "use and enjoyment."

Only mention this because I am a landlord, and looked it up. Fight the landlord, then withhold rent based on your access to common areas being restricted unreasonably, and let him take you to court. The way it will end is you either get to brew whenever, or he pays you to move. MA is so tenant biased it's absurd, but in this case it works in your favor.

I'm a tenant at will (no lease), but have been in the same apartment since April 2001. At this point, it's not worth my time to fight the *******. When I land one of the four jobs I'm currently going after (there's another outside of New England that I could be in the running for) I'll be moving. I plan to make sure that it will be ok to have a propane grill where I move (should cover my Blichmann burners too, right? ;)) and not look back. I want a ground floor apartment next, and I'll get a brew stand provided I have a place to put it (I'll get/make a cover for it too).

An indicator of how F'd up he is... If I run the water to do dishes for more than about 5 minutes he comes up looking to see if there's a "leak" or if I'm making something that's using "a lot of water"... I've tried to be nice with him, giving him some of what I've made, but it does me no good. Hell, he even wants me to leave pretty much all my brewing gear at my buddy's place. Sorry, but I'll clean what needs to be washed at home. I'm NOT about to extend the brew day by another hour, or two, at my buddy's place over that. I'm fortunate that I have a brew buddy that I can brew on his porch. If I didn't, I'm not sure what I'd be doing.

Can't WAIT to be moving out. I'm seriously tempted to tell him exactly what I think of him as I carry out the last box of my stuff. :drunk:

I'm a real estate attorney in PA. I don't know the law in your state, but withholding rent doesn't sound like a great idea. The best advice I can give you is don't take legal advice from a lay person. No offense to anyone.

I'm a real estate attorney in PA. I don't know the law in your state, but withholding rent doesn't sound like a great idea. The best advice I can give you is don't take legal advice from a lay person. No offense to anyone.
:off:
Not going to... IF I do anything, once I've moved out, I'll report him to the housing board (or whatever it is) over all the things that he does, or does that's wrong. Such as leaving a skylight in the bathroom unfinished for the past several years. Or how the ceiling in the bedroom has paint peeling that's covering hazardous paint. Or how there's only a single entrance and NO provision for getting out any other way (think that's a big one). If there was a fire blocking my normal exit, there's no rope ladder, or anything, so that I could get out one of the windows without getting hurt.

I'll be happy to know that the 'last month rent' I paid when I moved in is less than I'm paying now. SO, since I prepaid the final month, he'll get nothing from me on that month.

IMO, he shouldn't be a landlord to anyone that stays up past 9pm, has any hobbies, activities, or anything. He needs some little old lady to move in that will bake him cookies since she's retired and doesn't do anything else. Then again, I'd feel bad for said lady since he really IS an *******... :fro:

/rant

When I read threads like this, it reminds me how lucky we are with the landlord we have. When I asked if we could paint the living room (SO sick of apt beige) she said "sure, just deduct it from your rent and send me the receipt"...I had fully expected it to be at my own expense. She liked our work so much that she paid us to clean and paint the downstairs apartment when it became vacant...then had us interview the prospective tenants to make sure we could get along with them. (previous tenants were evicted and were total a-holes)

This is sound advice - please don't think I'm a lawyer. I have, however, been there and done it in MA, which differs from most of the rest of the Union in rental law. If it's worth the trouble, (sounds like it isn't since there's a new job and a move in the future for Golddiggie) I would consult with a MA real estate attorney who can interpret the laws for you.

scurry, if you want to become physically ill some time have a look at tenant law in MA. Or gun laws. Or health insurance. Or.. y'know... Pretty much anything else. Like I said, landlords in MA are virtually powerless. Eviction proceedings typically end after 4mos+ with the landlord paying the tenant a month's rent somewhere else just to get them to leave. The MA Housing Authority is in the habit of counseling tenants to withhold rent for any and all breaches of basic maintenance and fair use of rental property. They know who butters their bread.

Latest posts

Back