Hop rope size question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
What size rope do I need its my first year of hops, I see some people useing pretty heavy duty looking rope. Can I get away with a burlap baleing twine?

Jute is a good biodegradable option. And mason twine works well and is cheap, too.

I stand corrected. I just went and got more. it was 1/4" Sisal rope. 50' is $5.50. I just got the 3/8 version and it was $8.80 for 50'. either should work fine.

I used sisal last year for mine. I took the 1/4 inch stuff and braided three strands with my drill. This year I went thicker because I knew they would be more prolific. The chinook is as thick as my pinky. I ran into to problems with the sisal rotting before harvest. I am not sure if I am going to use the same AWG cord for my 13 new rhizomes I am putting in.

Jute twine, ample strength and its $1.65 for 300'. IMHO anything larger diameter than 1/8' is overkill.

Back