using bilge Fan & dehumidifier to prevent moisture in Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
I am using 2 of these dehumidifiers to help reduce the moisture in my kegerator:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFCS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

They will be rotated out one at a time so one is recharging while the other is soaking up the moisture.

To help circulate the cool air from the bottom of the kegerator and to help direct this moist air towards the dehumidifier I am going to use one of these bilge fans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8AZ8K/ref=oh_o01_s02_i00_details

I am also intend to use some blower hose so the fan is at the bottom where the colder air sits while the hose directs the exhaust where I want it, however I can't seem to find any info on the "best" power supply to use to for the bilge fan to get optimal air flow without excessive noise. I took a 12vdc/6amp power supply I had and tested it out but its making the kegerator sound like a WW2 airfield when the bilge fan is running. Has anyone used one of these fans and if so what PSU did you use?

Thanks!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts from you two on how these turned out? Is a de-hu really necessary? I haven't seen much of those in the keezer builds I've looked at so far.

It depends on several factors. I managed to cut down my moisture in there by putting the temp sensor in a beer bottle filled with water. That prevented the coils from kicking on so often and that greatly improved my humidity situation.

As for the bilge fan I would definitely say that's a must in a coffin situation. Not for humidity as much as moving cold air to the taps. I keep my keezer in my garage which isn't well cooled at all. My bilge fan pulling the cold air up from the bottom and pushing it thru pvc surrounding the tap innards and beer lines keeps the taps so cold that when I open the garage door they actually develop condensation on them, like a glass of ice water left out by the pool. It really helps. Now I wasn't able to use the little AC adapter I mentioned before but a little Radio shack visit and some help from P-J and the web got me hooked up with a step down transformer and a bridge rectifier that have been running it nonstop for 3 or 4 months now with zero issues.

That's good info. I definitely plan to keep the temp sensor submerged in liquid. Beer bottle sounds like as good of a solution as any since I've definitely got extras laying around :)

So if I'm thinking of doing a conventional keezer w/ taps through a collar it sounds like maybe the bilge fan isn't as critical, but I think I'd want to do that anyhow just because it seems sensible to keep the temperature equalized throughout the keezer if that's not hard to do.

I'm sure you already got yours figured out but I just bought the

VCT VM1225 Universal 12V DC & 2.5 Amp Switching AC to DC Converter / Class 2 Power Supply

Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer

and

Attwood Quiet Blower (White, 4-Inch)

THEORETICALLY that power adapter is exactly what Atwood says the bilge fan needs so it should run as quiet as they claim. We shall see. I'll update when they show up.

Bumping an old thread here - have been trying to wire this fan and had no luck whatsoever. Did you ever get this working?

I bought this power supply
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUMDWG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...as I showed it as something frequently bought with the 3" version of this fan - but the fan on it runs for a second, then stops for a second, runs for a second, stops for a second (it won't stay on continuously).

Tried another adapter and same thing. The fan definitely works on battery but having no luck at all running from an adapter.

Back