Temperature controlled storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
Good day!

I have a problem. 18-months ago I used to brew 20-30 gallons of all grain ales and mead every week. My lady and I had a huge apartment that had tons of storage. Fortunately we bought our first house, unfortunately I have absolutely no room to store my brew in. My last storage was a 4x4x8 closet and it was packed from top to bottom.

Our house has ample land surrounding it and I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to achieve my brewing storage needs.

I can construct almost anything. An outdoor walk-in refrigerator is an option. I live in Western Washington and will require cooling in Summer and heating in Winter.

What are some current ideas out there? Personally, I would love to dig & build an underground cellar. I don't know how effective at temperature reliability it is.

Thank you!

-Johnny Long

If it was me and I had a bottomless wallet, I'd build a small garage with an overhang. It would be small enough to keep cool with a window unit and a couple chest freezers. Then I'd keep all my gear, grain, etc. in there and brew under the overhang. I'd probably run gas out there to have a dedicated burner as well.

Cooling and heating a space who's walls are up against the weather to beer storage temps would be pretty costly both initially and over time. You'd be better off with a structure that is heated and cooled to comfortable temps, then have freezers to store or ferment in

Gonna throw this out there too...freezer motors only pull a couple amps. You could slap a couple solar panels on the top of whatever you build to run em.

Like I said, that is all cost aside. Your budget will ultimately determine what you do.

Back