Need advice - found a dead bee in my fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicemon1972

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. Here's a first for me so bear with me. Three weeks ago, I brewed an AG American Wheat with orange zest. I was low on my OG (still dialing in my AG system, so no biggie there) but I went to transfer today to bottle the beer and I found a dead bee inside my fermenter. I had a good, normal fermentation with no signs of infection at all. The only way a bug could have gotten in was during the sparge which means it was there during the boil or during the 15 minutes of cooling. Here is my dilemma: if it got in during the sparge or boil, shouldn't be an issue, right? If it got in during cooling, that could be a big problem in my eyes.
I am torn between bottling and seeing what happens and dumping the whole batch.
Has this happened to anyone? Do you have any advice?
Thanks in advance - I'd hate to dump the batch, but I am open to any and all advice.

My gravity samples tasted good but I'm wondering if there could be any really nasties the bee could have brought to the party that would possibly get people sick.

Spicemon1972 said:
My gravity samples tasted good but I'm wondering if there could be any really nasties the bee could have brought to the party that would possibly get people sick.

It all ready fermented, right? If its going to develop an infection then it is either there or it isn't. If it tastes good, bottle it.

Yeah if it tastes fine I say don't worry about it. If you reached your expected FG and the beer has alcohol in it, there won't be anything living in it that can get anybody sick. So if it tastes good, you're golden.

I think it is probably fine. However, I would box up the bottles and put a garbage bag around them just in case. After a few weeks you should know for sure.

Back