So I get this stuck sparge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
I have friends over today who are into brewing extract kits. I am trying to explain to them all the benefits that AG has to offer, when...I get my first stuck sparge! So I get the bright idea to blow into my runoff tube to see if It is that easy. The valve is completely open and my mouth is soon greeted by +170* sweet wort. My first reaction...well, let's just say I am now brewing a style of chicha. I am sure that the boil will kill anything that was festering on my tongue and I may be enjoying all five gallons of this precious chicha IPA all by my lonesome. Please tell me I am not the only idiot to have tried this and failed. OR, just call me an idiot.:p

i've done the same thing, but I hold the tube above the ball valve on the tun. It rarely works, and I usually end up using a plastic pitcher and a big (2x3') nylon straining bag..... Like this morning......

i've done the same thing, but I hold the tube above the ball valve on the tun. It rarely works, and I usually end up using a plastic pitcher and a big (2x3') nylon straining bag..... Like this morning......

I was quite unprepared for this episode and blowing into the tube only freed up a mouthful. It was quite painful and here I was trying to showcase my skills. I do have two paint strainer bags and should have thought of your approach. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. I think that I used too much grain and not enough H20. I have my numbers down but the LHBS crushed 13# instead of 11#. Next time, I'll weigh it up myself. Chalk one up to a lesson learned. Now to go soak my tongue in an ice cold pale ale.:D

maddad said:
I was quite unprepared for this episode and blowing into the tube only freed up a mouthful. It was quite painful and here I was trying to showcase my skills. I do have two paint strainer bags and should have thought of your approach. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time. I think that I used too much grain and not enough H20. I have my numbers down but the LHBS crushed 13# instead of 11#. Next time, I'll weigh it up myself. Chalk one up to a lesson learned. Now to go soak my tongue in an ice cold pale ale.:D

Or rice hulls huh? Always work well for me : )

The only time I've stuck a sparge homebrewing, I just just wrecked the bed by stirring it all around and re-vorlaufing. Takes a while, but it eliminates all the crap you normally have to go through.

Now when I stick a mash on the 100 bbl system at work...that causes a slight headache.

I usually hold the tube above the ball lock and start blowing before I open the valve. Haven't had an issue with that. I've only had one stuck sparge though, on my first AG I opened the valve way too far and clogged the braid pretty quick. I do the same thing to clear the hose after I've collected all my runnings so I can pull it off the barb.

Back