no yeast peach wine recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajun_wine07

Reaction score
I was given a recipe for peach wine with no added yeast. Ive never done a wine without yeast and im kinda worried on what to expect. Will it ferment like normal or will it look a bit different? heres the recipe, maybe someone has done this before to tell me some tips

6.5 medium can peaches (1 gallon of fruit)
9-10lbs sugar

Drain peaches from syrup from cans. Mash peaches well. Then dissolve sugar in 1 gallon of water, DO NOT boil just warm enough to dissolve sugar. Then add peaches to 5Gallon jug, add sugar syrup, add syrup from fruit cans, then top off with water. Place non-latex glove on top of jug and secure to make sure no air escapes. ready in 60 days. rack off and let particles settle then rack again.

does that even sound like it would work?

Just add some yeast, why would you want to try to make wine without adding yeast? Maybe you will get spontaneous generation and the yeast will magically pop into your must? Since you are using canned sterile peaches where do you think the yeast would come from? I could see a possiblity of doing this with real fruit picked from an orchard, it would have all kinds of yeast, some good and many more bad ones.

thats kinda what i was thinking. How would you get yeast from canned fruit. but i didnt wanna ask the lady that to keep from sounding rude. I was planning on adding yeast i just didnt know if someone had ever done this before

In making a white grape peach wine with welches juice I had some in a bottle left over that just had some sugar dissolves in it. It was left out at about 1/3 full in the original juice bottle and after a few weeks it started to ferment. It tasted sweet and nice once clear but a few weeks more and it started to tast really off and odd. So it went down the drain after that.

Back