Yeast fermented all sugars from beer (help?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaughnessy

Reaction score
I followed my recipe to the t. Made it 5 or 6 times now. For some reason this time my red ale tastes like the yeast has fermented all the ferment able sugars. Usual fg for tis beer is 1.010. this time its 1.000. There is literally no sweet to this beer. Curious if there is quick fix (ie. adding corn sugar) I can use before kegging or during my secondary/ dry hop. Any advice is gladly welcome.

Honestly, it sounds like you might have gotten an infection by a gusher bug. They would ferment the sugars that the yeast could not. Personal Opinion: Dump the batch and sanitize everything twice.

You can search "nonfermentable sugar" here and you will get alot of suggestions. Maybe Stevia or xylitol will work for you, I would suggest lactose but if your beer has some unintended yeast/bacterium in it lactose will only make it worst, plus it's not really that sweet and adds body.

Actually, I'd try mashing some highly kilned crystal malt and adding that for priming sugar, however the same applies if you have some unintended yeast/bacterium in it.

By the way the yeast normally do ferment all the fermentable sugars so I was initially confused about your question, are you certain you didn't change anything about the recipe this time?

Honestly, it sounds like you might have gotten an infection by a gusher bug. They would ferment the sugars that the yeast could not. Personal Opinion: Dump the batch and sanitize everything twice.

This seems like a good possibility.

I've once had to get rid of a bug in system, its not fun and will make a sane person paranoid. Here's what I did:

1) threw away all plastic tubing and replaced with new
2) threw away autosiphon and replaced with new
3) threw away the one better bottle I sometimes used (already was moving to glass carboys)
4) everything else got a thorough bleach soaking - bottling bucket, carboys, stoppers, etc. - then a rinse

It worked, the bug never came back. I'm sure it was overkill, but I didn't want to waste another brew day.

Good luck!

Hang on a sec. Before we go diagnosing infections (or spending time trying to do so), are we absolutely certain that the hydrometer is accurate? They have been known to lose calibration (i.e. the paper inside the glass shifts).

OP, take a sample of plain water and put your hydrometer in it. If you get a reading of 1.000, then yeah, start looking into infections. I doubt you can save this batch, as you've picked up a bug that is eating normally unfermentable sugars - even if you sweeten the beer it's going to ferment out and/or make bottle bombs.

If, on the other hand, your hydrometer reads less than 1.000, the issue is there and your beer is fine.

Do this test first. :)

Back