Sparge Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just sparge with a length of silicone hose long enough to wrap the entire I.D. of the vessel while resting on top of the grain bed?
Shown in picture below. The hose is actually just below the surface of the wort where you can't see it, but wraps far enough to just overlap itself.
Mash%20Recuirculation.jpg

I just take a length of copper pipe, crimp one end and solder (with lead-free) and drill a bunch of holes. Suspend above the mash tun and it works great - and was nearly free.

sparge arms (for fly sparging, not recirc) do NOT need to be anything fancy. You're just trying to put hot water gently on top of your grainbed/wort so that the wonderful wort will go out the bottom.

I've had success with a silicon tube letting water out horizontally, I've had success with it falling on a spoon (I bent the handle so it hooked over the edge of the cooler and was just above the grain bed), and I'm having good success with the "holy toob"

:D

I rock the silicone hose idea myself, also. Works just fine and I get great efficiency with it as long as I make sure to keep a layer of water on top of the grain bed. It's also the same thing that you'll see on the Blichmann Auto Sparge.

Back