Carboy at 75, Wort at 90 -- Fill the Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I am sitting here with 90 degree wort, it is too hot outside to cool it any further (30 minutes with the chiller got it to 90 degrees!)

I am thinking of just dumping the wort in my carboy (75F) and then placing in my freezer (70F.) Is that OK? I am worried that the temperature change might make the carboy crack.

I am not adding yeast at this point BTW -- I am letting the carboy cool overnight before adding yeast. Yes, I risk infection but my starter was too small and I didn't realize until I started today's brewing. I have a big step up starter going right now to use tomorrow.

i think you will be fine, add it slowly, it will raise the temp and will take a good few hours to cool it down in freezer! go for it!!

if you have a kettle with a valve you could slowly fill the carboy and you would be ok. if you don't have a valve on the kettle you could leave the lid on the kettle and let the wort cool overnight, probably the safest option. i let my wort sit overnight, so that the trub really settles down, and have never had a problem. i don't see the point to underpitching. sometimes i use the fresh wort for making a starter overnight then pitch the whole thing without decanting.

Thanks for the support! I do have a valve and have been straining my wort through a cheesecloth on its way into the carboy so I'll do that now and pitch tomorrow. That's a great idea about using wort for the starter, if this beer wasn't high gravity (1.076) I would try it.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about with later pitching. If your sanitation is good and fermenter is sealed its fine to pitch 12 hours later. I prefer to get my wort and yeast to required temperature and pitch later rather than immediately in fear of infection

Sent from GT-I9100M

Latest posts

Back