well it looks like paddock wood is shutting down for good in canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crown_cres

Reaction score
well it looks like paddock wood is going to be shutting down the homebrew supply part of there operation for good. it looks like im going to be ordering from dans in vancouver . im just wondering how many canadians still use paddock wood since there service has gone down the tube the past year. or where else do you buy from in canada??

Yeah, if you do AG brewing, it will have to be Dan's or Askims, at least if you are out west. What a shame -- Paddock Wood used to be top notch.

But with the Canadian dollar as high as it is, I think I might look at shopping south of the border again. If you can get your stuff shipped USPS, it can be pretty reasonable.

ya my mom lives in a small border town right on the British Columbia/ washigton state border and there is a small gas station across the line and you can get anything shipped to the gas station via ups/fedex/dhl any couier and the gas station will sign for you and only charge you like $3. this would be great with the canadian dollar it's only 2.5 hours away i could go there after work on the weekend and such.
all i would have to do is declare what i have ordered. i use to use this service all the time in highschool with stuff i bought on ebay. come to think about it i could get awsome deal on kegs too with this anyways sorry this is so long

I just ordered some stuff from Skinaney myself. Their hop prices make it worth while. I'm still looking for a specialty grain supplier. I came across a place in Manitoba called the GrapeandGrain that looks interesting.

Yeah, I called Todd at Skinaney for some stuff, too. But shipping out west was horrendous. Ordering from across the country is actually much more expensive than ordering from California or Texas.

Here's what it looks like at this end, Fedex says 5.7 lbs:

> Starsan (32oz) - $25.00
> 4 oz jar super moss - $12.00
> 8 oz cascade - $1.10/oz x 8 = $8.80
> 8oz Fuggles - $1.15/oz x 8 = $9.20
> 8oz EKG - $1.20/oz x 8 = $9.60
> Shipping = $13.26
> For a grand total of $67.86

Yeah, just dropped a couple hundred there yesterday. I get really agitated at some of their pricing though. They have a fairly good product line, so I give them a fair bit of support. Ordering 55 lb bags of MO just isn't worth it anyway.

Have you tried any micro brewerys? I buy my grain from one here and is a lot cheaper than the LHBS.
I got a 55# sack of Bairds MO for $53 and my CM 2 row usually goes for $35.

But with the price increases comming????

No I haven't thought of that one, but I may give it a try. Newfoundland is such a friendlier place. I generally find people and businesses in Nova Scotia to be pretty much useless arseholes when it comes to being helpful, maybe they'll prove me wrong for once.

mr x said:
No I haven't thought of that one, but I may give it a try. Newfoundland is such a friendlier place. I generally find people and businesses in Nova Scotia to be pretty much useless arseholes when it comes to being helpful, maybe they'll prove me wrong for once.

These guys went out of their way to get a sack of grain delivered to me.

I had them ship the grain to Spangolis (free) so it could go on an order to my LHBS. Never cost me a cent other than the price of the sack. The same price as if I had carried it out of the store myself. My LHBS also didn't charge me to have this done.

Also being a part of the Members of Barleyment ( MoB ), we do bulk orders of grain, and while I'm too isolated to take part in that, members in Halifax do.

Back