copper mash tun manifold question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmdog9

Reaction score
I built a mashtun manifold yesterday and put it in my 10 gallon cylindrical cooler i bought at Home Depot, everything fit fine inside ... but the section of copper i extend out through the spigot hole ends up tilting up at an angle when i tested the cooler with 5 gallons of water (manifold sits on bottom of cooler). the seal leaked a bit. should i put spacers under manifold to raise it? install more o-ring seals? other suggestions?

The output being tilted up should not cause a problem if you're going to connect a hose to it and drain to a lower level. The pressure from your initial volume will start the liquid flowing out and it will create syphon which should empty your tun down to the point where your manifold starts sucking in air.

ahh... good point, i used cold. but it was a marginal leak coming through around the cooler rubber seal, the addition of an o-ring or two and the heated wort should probably fix problem? no reason to elevate the manifold with spacers to eliminate the out spout pipe up angle?

Back