Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Okay, After four days in the primary the bubbles were down to once every six minutes. I racked off to a carboy last night. Now this morning there is little white "flakes" floating up the rim of the carboy and then falling back down the center. Am I to assume that this is yeast that got in there when I racked off? Is this normal?

Congrats. Now, concentrate on relaxing, not worrying, and having a home brew, or your favorite store brew if this is your first batch.

Did you sample any? How was it?

Yea this is my first batch. I didn't sample any, didn't know you could at this stage. Now I wish I did!
How long should the secondary sit before bottling?

Tasting at each stage is good to be able to judge the progress and any potential "off" characteristics. As it is your first, it might taste very foreign, but as you brew more, you will be able to better judge. If I take a hydo reading, I normally use that to sample.

Also, it is tasty!

Hi
Thought this was an appropriate thread to pose a question.
I brewed for a few years when I lived in the states - I used a 5Gallon Glass Carboy for 2nd fermentation. I like to use glass...

I'm back home in ireland and can't find one. There seems to be a lot of 1 gallon demijohns proposed as fermenters... If I get 5 do you reckon it would be better the a 5 gallon plastic fermenter?

Freedgull said:
Hi
Thought this was an appropriate thread to pose a question.
I brewed for a few years when I lived in the states - I used a 5Gallon Glass Carboy for 2nd fermentation. I like to use glass...

I'm back home in ireland and can't find one. There seems to be a lot of 1 gallon demijohns proposed as fermenters... If I get 5 do you reckon it would be better the a 5 gallon plastic fermenter?

Can't answer your question, but here are some ebay listings and a listing for carboys.

First, the listing, for a 20L glass carboy, willing to ship, but doesn't specify cost
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pyrex-Carboy-...ryZ11812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

first search is for UK only

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

this one's Ireland...but no current hits
http://search.ebay.ie/search/search...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

good luck
James

will it still ferment in the seocndary or does it shock the process cus iv had in the primary for 5 days and i really wanna do somthing. Is it best to just wait till its been a week?

Let it ferment out in the primary. That is where all the yeast is.
When primary fermentation is finished, rack to secondary for conditioning/clearing for a couple of weeks or so and then package/bottle/keg.

Everything will be fine. Ask 100 different brewers when to rack to secondary and you'll get 100 different answers. Your beer will be fine.

Latest posts

Back