BB Belgian Triple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I'm doing my last few batches of extract before I give All Grain a try. Has anyone ever tried the brewers best Belgian triple? I've got it going right now and it's supposedly going to ferment out 8.5-9.5%. Anyone ever throw a little dextrose in to up the ante? I have quite a bit left from some apfelwein batches I made and am considering throwing a lb in. What say the peanut gallery? Toss it in or stop before I fudge it up?

I say go for it... I brewed a Northern Brewer Triple kit and it is still in my secondary. Word of warning, be sure you use a blow off, Belgian Trappist yeast tends to kick off a lot of foam. I almost painted my walls with it...

:-( brewed it with the yeast in the kit. I was grabbing some vials of yeast and grabbed two hefe's instead of a true belgian (by accident obviously). I think the yeast was nottingham(?). I wish I hadn't been so impatient and just drove to the store to get some proper yeast.

awww that's too bad.... the trappist yeast is a fun one :) I like to go on the lower range of it tho b/c I do enjoy the estery notes but I don't need to get slammed in the face with a fruit basket. You won't get that type of thing goin on as much with the notty however.

Well I ended up getting some trappist yeast anyway! I pitched the provided yeast, which smelled unusually horrid when rehydrated, but found no sign of fermentation the next day. I usually try to give it a while, especially since it was dry and might need some time to come back to life, but I did not want to risk the beer not turning out. Ran to the LHBS for some other things and when I got there decided to pick up a vial and pitched most of it (I save a little bit, hoping to step it up on my stir plate and store it).

I did not pitch the extra sugar, though I'm still debating. I could boil it in some water and add it to the primary right? Trying to think of ways to make this sucker a little more flavorful.

Back