My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurnick

Reaction score
I just fermented my first ale and think I may have either done something wrong.

The recipe called for 7 pounds of light DME but the OG was only 46. The recipe said it would be around 70.

Any thoughts?

Sounds to me like your volume was was to high. I'm a newbie as well.

Now that I think about it, I topped off the last bit of water and did not shake it up after that. I think my reading was deluted down.

You should be good though alcohol will be 0.5% or so lower but should still be good. There are pluses to topping off (less chance of oxidation). But just make your pre-boil a bit bigger next time. My first batch was 5.5 gal. My second was 4.6 gal. I didn't top off but left it ride. 4 beers in volume didn't matter as much to me as hitting my numbers.

Let me know how it turns out. Are you whole leaf hopping or using pellets? I don't know if I can find whole hops here in MS. Planning on visiting the lhbs for the first time in a few weeks.

You should be good though alcohol will be 0.5% or so lower but should still be good. There are pluses to topping off (less chance of oxidation). But just make your pre-boil a bit bigger next time. My first batch was 5.5 gal. My second was 4.6 gal. I didn't top off but left it ride. 4 beers in volume didn't matter as much to me as hitting my numbers.

Let me know how it turns out. Are you whole leaf hopping or using pellets? I don't know if I can find whole hops here in MS. Planning on visiting the lhbs for the first time in a few weeks.

Thanks BadDeacon. I used pellets on this. It called for 1oz Galena for 60 and 1/2 oz Columbus for the last 5. I have an oz of columbus to dry hop with as well.

Just out of curiosity did you calibrate the hydrometer?

I checked it at 60 degrees with water and it was at 1.000. I am still thinking that I took a sample of topoff water. I guess I could check it again in the morning, but I don't want to open it up any more than I have to.

Back