another carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighandsray

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I kegged 10 gal of "High" Sierra Nevada clone (OG was 1.060). Batch fermented for 10 days FG was 1.017. So I cold crashed it in the primary. 48 hours later I put it on the gas at 12 psi around 42 degrees. 2 weeks later now I hook it up to the tap today and out comes good tasting beer but little to no carbonation. This is my first time with a my newly purchased used kegerator. So I am trying to figure out why the beer is nearly flat. Could I have a leak? Could my regulator be shot? Any pros out there got any ideas or tips.
Oh yeah. I turned the gas up this afternoon to 20 psi. I am going on vacation in 1 week and I want this beer ready to go. Thanks.

When I pull the pressure relief valve there is a significant release of pressure. I can hear more CO2 creaking into the tank when I pull the valve. The tank is a newly filled 20# tank.

So my next question is... Do I need a new regulator? I have double CO2 regs. One acts funny when i adjust it. By acting funny i mean compared to the other one I have to turn the nut thing significantly more to reach the desired pressure. To complicate matters. The good regulator is carbing a blonde ale. It has been on the gas for 1 week and seems slightly more carbed than the bad regulator which is carbing a pale ale for 2 weeks with little to no carbonation.
Help.

It's been on 12 psi for two full weeks? I'm not sure exactly what your procedure was, that's why I'm asking. It was on the gas for two weeks, then you tapped it and it wasn't carbed up?

Depending on the length of your beer line I wouldn't go much above 12psi for any length of time. You said you kicked it up to 20, and that is fine for a day or two to see if the carb level jumps up some, but more than a couple days there and you risk over carbonating.

If you suspect the regulator, try swapping the regulators and see if the High Sierrra carbonation improves. Maybe swap the input lines to the kegs and set the High Sierra up to like 25psi for 24 hours and see where it is at after that point. You might want to check it at 12 hours just to be sure you don't over do it.

It's been on 12 psi for two full weeks? I'm not sure exactly what your procedure was, that's why I'm asking. It was on the gas for two weeks, then you tapped it and it wasn't carbed up?

Yup, it was on the gas for two weeks. Tapped and no carbonation. I think the second regulator is shot (on the 20#). I have a second single reg (5# bottle) set up that I put on the High Sierra. Have that set at 20 psi. I'll see tomorrow what effect this has. At this point I am about to try and burst carb this batch. Or will this screw it up even more? Thanks

Depending on the length of your beer line I wouldn't go much above 12psi for any length of time. You said you kicked it up to 20, and that is fine for a day or two to see if the carb level jumps up some, but more than a couple days there and you risk over carbonating.

If you suspect the regulator, try swapping the regulators and see if the High Sierrra carbonation improves. Maybe swap the input lines to the kegs and set the High Sierra up to like 25psi for 24 hours and see where it is at after that point. You might want to check it at 12 hours just to be sure you don't over do it.

Thanks Zen 20 psi for a day improved it but not much. I switched to a new tank and regulator at 20 psi. I'll see where i am at tomorrow. I might be going to buy a new regulator as well. Can welding shops test these things?

Latest posts

Back