fly sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I tried looking for this as a past question but didn't find one. how is it done, and what other methods would work?

thanks for the help

Check out the wiki and/or http://www.howtobrew.com.

Basically, it is slowly rinsing the grain with the sparge water. It should take about 1 hour to complete the process whereby you runoff and sparge water additions are roughly the same speed.

ok, I use a 2 quart measuring cup and slowly pour it over the grain bed. I guess I was fly sparging and didn't even know it. I let the first couple quarts go directly into a container until it is fairly clear. It then goes into my brewing pot. using boiled water to pour over the grain bed.

This was my first attempt at ag. I ordered an ag by mistake. trial by fire i guess.

Never use boiling water to sparge, that is too hot and will extract tannins from the grain. Read up on fly sparging. You need 168 F for the sparge water.

www.howtobrew.com

Back