Substitutes for Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdiver

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1.5 pounds of 30L crystal malt. My brew store doesn't have 30L, but mixed 10L and 20L-.75 pounds each. I got to thinking shouldn't that be averaged rather than added. Would .75 lbs 50L and .75 lbs 10 L average to 30 L, or the same weights of 20L and 40L? I am sure I am thinking way to hard on this, but would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Correct, a pound of 10L and a pound of 20L will not get you the equivalent of two pounds of 30L. Think on it...will mixing two light colored things get you a dark colored thing?

To get a very rough approximation, you can proportionally average the two different grains, but even this is only a rough equivalence. A pound of crystal 40L won't taste the same as half a pound of 20L and half a pound of 60L.

the 20/40 or 10/50 mixes will both get you the same color, but it won't get you the same flavor as the C30. the 20/40 would probably be closer tho. carastan would be pretty good sub as well.

Don't stress about it. A straight sub of 2lbs of 20L would have been close enough. There isn't a whole lot of difference in flavor until you go wide like 80L instead of 40L or 120L instead of 80. I'd just go ahead and use the mix they gave you.

Recipes for beer IMO are guidelines to help you along the path of beer enlightenment. Give the same recipe to 10 brewers and you will most likely have 10 different beers even with the same ingredients. Sub away.

Enjoy your brew day!

Back