Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread, but if it's going to turn into half the people bashing cartridge razors and someone trying to defend them, I'm out!
For my time and money, double edges and wet shaving win every time!
5 blades make for a smooth shave in my face... Until it scabs over while the layer of skin regenerates.
I prefer not to use them and look forward to shooting the bull with anyone else who has made that decision... Not reading more Arguing!

This is a great thread, but if it's going to turn into half the people bashing cartridge razors and someone trying to defend them, I'm out!
5 blades make for a smooth shave in my face... Until it scabs over while the layer of skin regenerates.
I prefer not to use them and look forward to shooting the bull with anyone else who has made that decision... Not reading more Arguing!

There is a great forum out there for DE shavers. I can't recall the name now. :(

Point taken. My apologies if my comments got some folks fired up.

Anyhow I am about to purchase a hundred count of Polsilver Super Iridium blades. The word on the street is they are the same blades different packaging, and those that tested the old SI's against the Polsilver SI's can't tell the difference. I hope its the real deal cause I love those SI's. Bullgoose has em for $35 a hundred pack.

I don't get the vibrating razor thing. I used the non-vibrating Fusion with the trimmer handle. That trimmer's good for ear hair and the hair that likes to poke out around your ears when your short around the ears haircut starts to grow out. Works on sideburns too. Nothing scissors can't do, but handy none the less.

I don't get the vibrating razor thing. I used the non-vibrating Fusion with the trimmer handle. That trimmer's good for ear hair and the hair that likes to poke out around your ears when your short around the ears haircut starts to grow out. Works on sideburns too. Nothing scissors can't do, but handy none the less.

Power razor is to numb the skin more than anything.

Cartridge razors are the new BMC, people will randomly bash them even so they're a solid, consistent product that isn't really competing with what they consume.

FWIW mach 3 wasn't a close shave for me and a DE has enabled me to get a closer shave and not irritate by having to go against the grain.

I'd be surprised if a cartridge could get closer but I'll keep an open mind...

Cartridge razors are the new BMC, people will randomly bash them even so they're a solid, consistent product that isn't really competing with what they consume.

FWIW mach 3 wasn't a close shave for me and a DE has enabled me to get a closer shave and not irritate by having to go against the grain.

I'd be surprised if a cartridge could get closer but I'll keep an open mind...

Have you tried Fusion Proglide?

STOP!
Anyone with hard water use Poraso? Tube of cream or jar of cake?
I'm thinking of trying it, but don't know which to order!

My water is super normal here. Send me the soap you are using and I'll get some super hard water from my moms well. I know, not quite worth it.

Edit: Ah, you are trying to decide which to try. My solution is worthless. Have you tried Badger&Blade? I'm sure this has come up somewhere over there.

STOP!
Anyone with hard water use Poraso? Tube of cream or jar of cake?
I'm thinking of trying it, but don't know which to order!

Had pretty hard water when I was stationed in Korea and I used Proraso green cream in a tube and it worked fine. If you have a bath and body works at the local mall they have Bigelow cream. Its exactly the same thing as Proraso green. Exactly. Just in case you felt like going to the mall this weekend to look... Side note--- lots of folks have had a real tough time getting MWF to lather with hard water. Just in case you were thinking of that.

I had a dickens of a time with hard water in one house then my next rental house 40 miles away with hard water lathered great... I don't get it but I use Proraso soap everyday. I have some cream that I need to try but I can't bring myself to open the box. Once it gets cold I may go back to TOBS Sandalwood... Maybe not. I'm enjoying the Proraso too much now that I can get it to actually lather.

Honestly I feel I get better protection from TOBS cream than Proraso. I have been looking at Valobra menthol or Klar Kabinett soap. That has been catching my eye for "more".

Picked up some of the bath and body works cream. I've used it once and used the cake that came with my whipped dog kit. The cream was much easier to lather, but it was used at home and the cake was used in a holiday inn and their water is always weird. I've only DE shaved twice, but love it so far, but it does take a bit longer.

My local Rite Aid had Real Shaving Company 2x Cream and Post-Shave balm for only $4 a piece. Good deal and this stuff works and smells nice.

I've been we shaving for a few yearsusing a cheap DE from Amazon. I just got a short handled Weber dlc and absolutely love it with astra blades. Been using mama bear unscented shave soap or a eucalyptus mint cream from taconic shave.

Yes the razor was expensive but it will outlive me.

It's the nicest razor I've ever used. The balance is amazing since the handle is so heavy. I stalked their website for weeks trying to buy one, they went out of stock the same day.

I've been using the palmolive soap stick (grated into a bowl) and the tube of cream for the last few weeks and it always amazes me how good these are - I've yet to find a more protective cream (have tried Trumpers, TOBS and another couple of cheapos - Boots own brand and Ingram over the last couple of years since I started) So cheap as well at £1.50 a tube and available in every supermarket here. The only problem with it is that the smell isn't the best, but that doesn't last more than a few minutes at most.

The soap is good too but MWF and the Speick one I have top it

I've been into straight razor shaving for a few years now. The hardest part to start with was the honing but I built a nice 'collection' of stones - synthetic & natural and have a pretty good technique now. Mainly use DMT diamond stones for setting bevels, a chinese 12k, Shapton 16k and Swaty barber hone for touch ups. Tony Miller latigo/cotton strop and another older horsehide/Linen strop.

I used to buy a lot of razors but I settled for a very simple Wapienica with a french point (have a few others Wapis as backups).

Mainly use Tabac and Proraso as they're the easiest to find around here. Still need to get around to try the Kent Wool Fat soap thing! But tbh, I find most fancy shaving soaps a little too expensive for the performance they offer.

Still...tried every way to shave, and it's the best shave ever - and it actually takes me less time to shave than with any cartridge razor. No pollution is another plus.

When my time in the military is up and I have more time I will pick up the straight again. A Harner razor with some form of G10 might be the ticket.

So I'm using Mitchelle's Wool Fat shave soap, and while it is doing the job, I'd like thicker, creamier lather. It gets mixed reviews on Badger & Blade.

I shave it off in little slivers, add just a little hot water and let it sit a few minutes. I've done this to loose slivers and slivers kneaded into a little pad. I've also just mashed up the slivers some. That seems to give me the closest lather to what I (think I) want, but still pretty far off. It's thin and watery. Is this what yall get with Mitchelle's or is there another technique?

What soap gives a thicker, creamier lather?

Hmm, I was thinking water hardness on this one as well. MWF lathers great for me. Have you tried any of the soft soaps like Cella? Some people don't like the scent, but I find Cella lathers up a treat!

Wow!
You guys liked TOBS, and it's never worked for me! I love the smell, but never got a good shave with it... Till today !
I heated up A coffee cup of bottled water in the microwave and used it to soak my brush and lather! Wow. WOW!
I shaved my entire head and trimmed my beard in no time, with no nicks, no stubble and no problems! Smooth as a bowling ball!
Hard water just sucks!

I have fairly soft water, but still find a good soak of the brush and the soap are great help to lathering. Interstingly, after the soak, it's actually best for me normally to shake the brush dry.

Hmm, I might try shaking the brush dry, I have occasional issues getting a lather, maybe a too wet brush is the root, or it might target that a too dry brush might be the case for me, time to experiment.

azscoob said:
Hmm, I might try shaking the brush dry, I have occasional issues getting a lather, maybe a too wet brush is the root, or it might target that a too dry brush might be the case for me, time to experiment.

That's what I do. Let the brush soak for a minute or two and then shake any extra water out.

I use a moist brush and add water as I need it. There is a happy medium when hitting the soap. During the winter I really dig a warm brush soaked in hot water but during the summer I am strictly cold water and some menthol products. In Korea, one time (only) I made the mistake of using a menthol A/S and then had to ride my bicycle to work and it was 20 deg out. Yea, suck that did.

Back