where to drill holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmcf

Reaction score
hello all, i have just scored a couple of kegs from a salvage yard I already have the tops cut and the hole's for the valves drilled but am wondering where to drill the ones for sight glass, and temp prob. any info would be helpful.

thanks
Kevin

I am assuming this is for a mash tun????for the sight glass I would drill as low as you can( I dont use one in the mash tun). As for the temp probe about 4" for the bottom of the kettle is good.
I fked up when I did mine some time back and put the probe to high in the mash tun. I have since gone digital so it really dosent matter but it looks bad. O well the system was a prototype. Good Luck!
Cheers
JJ

3kegs.jpg

Those of you that are using sight glasses...besides the HLT, is it a good idea to use them for the MLT and BK? Any problems with them getting clogged with debris?
Thanks
Jack

Here are my cases for sight glasses in all vessels:

HLT, obvious.

MLT, On a direct fire system, it's practical to heat strike water in the MLT to bring the vessel up to temp (no need to overshoot the temp to compensate for heat absorption). I might actually heat half my strike in the HLT and half in the MLT, then pump it over. It should get my effective BTU way up for the added surface area between two kegs.

On the BK, purely just to know what your pre and post boil volumes are.

Back