Oak Cubes in RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I have a RIS and want to add oak to one gallon, but not sure how much or long to go. I have Hungarian medium toast oak cubes that I would soak in brandy and add to 1g carboy, looking for a light oak character that's detectable but not too intense. Could I chop up the oak cubes to turn them into "chips", so they impart flavor faster? Thanks

If you really want a light oak flavor, I'd go with the cubes personally. Chips will impart their flavor faster, however they tend to overemphasize the tannins if you let it sit for too long, whereas the cubes will impart a different flavor profile in the same amount of time - more vanilla and good stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Let's say I use 1 oz. of cubes for 1 gallon. Would they contribute any flavor after only 2 weeks?

For a galllon I don't know if you need an ounce of cubes. I use an ounce of chips for a 5 galllon batch. I usually bottle after a week to ten days.

Latest posts

Back