Consequences of being unprepared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
Work prevented me from participating in the teach a friend to homebrew day at Edwort's. So, I planned on bottling my AW and picking up some more ingredients to pitch right back into the carboy with the yeast. Prior to that, this is what happens:

I get a flat tire.
My bottle caps have rusted.
I just threw out all the empty apple juice containers.
I realized the last two only after siphoning everything into my bottling bucket and sanitzing all tools and bottles.

So now, I'm pretty much stranded at the house until Discount Tires opens tomorrow and I can't bottle up my AW. I did however empty a gallon of drinking water and fill that with AW. Guess what I'll be drinking tonight?

If I had just checked my bottle caps yesterday, I could have kept the AJ containers and just bottled the AW in them. Next time, I'm doing a 48 hour checklist to be sure I have no surprises.

Now I gotta hit up www.austinhomebrew.com to get some more bottle caps and some more dextrose. Maybe I'll pick up a BB to ease my pain and be able to do two batches!

Lessons learned: Double check everything before starting anything.

If the caps weren't rusting on the sealing area....I would have used them anyway. Regarding the AJ containers, I probably would have used anything airtight and able to be sanitized. Then again, I'm not adverse to the idea of guerrilla bottling.

Latest posts

Back