LOL.....oooops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So brewed on Wednesday my second recipe of fairly simple ale that i use for my non-homebrew friends. My first one turned out to be too hoppy for them, so I promised them I'd tone down the hops. (yes it made me cry a little inside)
so here was my revised recipe.

5lbs light DME (2 packs of 2.2lbs DME...and some left over dme i had from making starters)
1lb rice solids
.5lbs carapils
.5 oz Cascade 60min
.5 oz Cascade 30min
.5 oz Cascade 15min
1 tsp of Irish Moss.

Now the estimated Alcohol % that beersmith gave me was 5.2%. On average with most commercial beers in Canada.So I thought Great! ....Until...i was shopping for my next brew. I went to order the same bags of DME....

They weren't 2.2lbs... They were 3lbs!! I totally messed up the math!

so what was really is in the brew is 6.5 lbs of DME. Which is not bad...HAD I not put in those rice solids! The new beersmith estimation is at 7%!:drunk: LOL... wonder if I should tell my friends or not... hahahha :tank:

hehehe yeah thats just evil...I like it :)

I just hope the alcohol isn't overpowering and causing this beer to taste bad.... I can see it not being great...but I at least want this to be drinkable still.

humm beer calculus says this is perfect for a Belgian Blonde Ale.

although the use of cascade hops probably doesn't fit this style.... but at least I'll have a name for it if they ask.

Don't tell them that you screwed up. Maybe it'll turn out very good. Like my last brew, I was brewing a 11 liters batch and I boiled 12 liter of water. I ended up with 7 liters of wort! (Plus I forgot to take readings!) I realized this only when transferring into my 3 gallon carboy for 2e fermentation. It turned out very good and people asked for more!:tank:

YOU DID NOT SCREW UP- you made beer, and I'm pretty sure it's going to taste great.
I think you may have to extend out your fermentation, conditioning time. Higher the ABV the more time it takes to mellow out the tastes.
Be honest with your friends, just tell them it's a style that you kind of like, ABV is around 7%, and see if they like it. You just might convert some of them, there will always be some people dead set on one thing.

yeah i mean it's definitely beer...just not what was planned. I'm looking at it as a learning experience....

and it's still fermenting like mad! lol. Longest fermentation I've had ever.

Back