No bubbles after 7 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douganman

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first attempt at bewing cider after converting from red and white wines which went rather well. My problem is that i decided to buy young's u brew cider kit (partly so i can have a dedicated kit for cider while brewing wine) and after following the instructions all seemed to be going well.
Now after 7 days there is completley no bubbling and my hydrometer is measuring 1.020 yet i was expecting below 1.000.

Im a bit confused as to what to do now, leave it for a bit longer and hope my reading drops? put it into the 5 gal pressurised barrel?

Im probably being naiive, worrying because the wine acted as expected but the thought of 5 gal's of funky apple juice rather than cider is worrying indeed!

What was your OG, fermentation temperature, yeast strain, and did you add nutrients?

Give it a taste, and see if you like it.

You don't want to leave it on the yeast for too extended of a time, or you may get more congeners in it. Although, that might be to your tastes.

Relax. Don't panic. Have a hard cider :)

What was the OG? I made a cider a few months ago that dropped to about 1.025 in a few days but it took almost a month to drop far below that.

I wrote it somewhere but i cant remember exactly somewhere around the 1.035-40 range, but as i said thats a guesstimate.

Say i somehow managed to kill the yeast or some other kind of disaster, what other steps could i take to get some form of drinkable alcoholic beverage out of it, more yeast? im displaying my true novice side with this :D

Thanks for the speedy replies though

Back