Fermentor Chamber Thermostat Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttieb

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been looking around the forums and haven't been able to answer some of the questions that I have, I apologize if I just missed them.\

I plan on building a heated fermentation chamber out of an old broken fridge and want to use a light bulb to heat it since I have had good experience with this method in the past. However I would like to hook up a thermostat to it to control the temperature better. I think I have a good understanding of how to hook the thermostat to the lamp, it seems like I just have to wire it in like a switch.

My biggest question that I have is that I understand that it turns on when the temperature gets low but is there any risk of over heating. How much of a degree difference will there be before it shuts off.

Also can anyone recommend a thermostat to me or tell me what to look for. I was just going to get a standard house wall thermostat, will this work well? Are digital thermostats more accurate for this purpose then a dial thermostat?

Also I would like to keep this build as cheap as possible so to have more money for my grain budget:mug:.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!!

I do this with a Ranco thermostat (to cool and heat), the wiring was simple. You can set the +- difference with it, I have mine set to 2 degrees. I reccomend using a ceramic reptile heater instead of a light bulb though, in case it burns out.

Back