Bluebonnet Brew-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I'll be entering a few beers this year. I've got a few browns to choose from, an American stout, and a blonde I'll be entering. This will be my first competition so I'm not expecting any accolades. I'd just like some feedback from someone other than my friends and family.

Who else is entering? What are you entering? Any tips for a competition noob?

I have an IPA I'll be entering along with a hoppy blonde/pale ale that I'm going to enter in both categories.

I entered my Centennial Cascade Pale Ale, Nut Brown, and Appewine. I also just booked my room at the hotel, looking forward to the festivities in Dallas.

I'm shipping off a pale ale and a cat 23 Imperial Brown. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

My first also. I've got a few beers that I feel are better than what I sent but all I had left was bombers. :mad:

I hope HBT's Strat_Thru_Marshall wins best in show again this year. Only cause I get to swap beers with him.:tank:

It's my first time entering a real comp as well, I entered three-

Imperial Panty Dropper Cider- Specialty Cider
Atticus Fonzworth Pale Ale- American Pale Ale
Beericle on 34th Street- Christmas (spice category)

Looking into some feedback!

Men, best of luck. I was hoping to be ready to enter this year, but since I moved from Atlanta to Ft. Worth, I am not in a position to brew (stuff is still in storage). I have some Chocolate Coffee Stout and a few bottles of cider, but nothing i would put up.

Wow, 1790 entries for the 2012 Bluebonnet Brew-off. Assuming these numbers are correct and official, it would be the 11th largest BJCP competition of all time surpassing the 2011 Brewoff by about 15 entries.

This will also be my first competition. I entered a dunkelweizen which also happens to be my second ever brew. I never would have entered really, but a friend of mine who is very involved in the comp talked me into it. In any case, good luck everyone!

This is not my first comp, but my first Bluebonnet, and i entered four beers: Rye saison, raspberry apfelwein, and a bourbon oak aged irish red in new entrant and wood aged beers.

Does anybody know if there is a registration fee to attend or if it's open to the public? I didn't place any entries but I would still like to go sample homebrew, hear the speakers and meet some people. I couldn't find any info on how to attend on the website.

Does anybody know if there is a registration fee to attend or if it's open to the public? I didn't place any entries but I would still like to go sample homebrew, hear the speakers and meet some people. I couldn't find any info on how to attend on the website.

The keynote, commercial tasting, homebrew tasting, technical conference and awards show registration is $30. You can register at http://bluebonnetbrewoff.com/bcoem. The Pub Crawl is an extra $15.

What are the odds that I was disqualified since I bottled mine in the stubby Lagunitas bottles?

I don't think it will be an issue, as long as it is between 10 and 14oz. I wouldn't classify a stubby as unusually shaped, so by the rules you should be ok. Of course this is up to the interpretation of the organizer, so YMMV.

Bluebonnet Brew-off Rules said:
To ensure anonymity of the entrants, we recommend that bottles be standardized to standard 10 to 14 ounce green or brown bottles with no paper or ink labels. Any lettering or graphics on the caps should be completely obscured with black ink. Encourage entrants to use brown bottles for maximum protection from light. Traditional “longneck” style bottles are encouraged, while bottles with Grolsch-type swing tops and unusually shaped bottles are not allowed.

Where's my hat, I ordered a baseball cap online when I paid for my entries. Haven't got it yet.

I've only got 4 in this year. It'll be my third year entering, but I spent most of this last year with my rig in pieces, reworking and retooling.

With regards to the hat/t-shirt, iirc, they supply those that ordered at check-in, if you attend. Once that is over, they package up and ship out to those that didn't attend but ordered. You'll get em, fear not. Scorecards will also be mailed shortly after the Awards Ceremony recovery.

Turns out that I'm starting a new job that has me working Saturday till 5. :( Can't complain about a new job but this is my first comp to enter in and it would have been nice to go. Anyone who's going want to post some highlights during the conference?

Awards ceremony starts at 8:00. Depending where you work and how tired you are it's possible you could make it.
Turns out that I'm starting a new job that has me working Saturday till 5. :( Can't complain about a new job but this is my first comp to enter in and it would have been nice to go. Anyone who's going want to post some highlights during the conference?

Awards ceremony starts at 8:00. Depending where you work and how tired you are it's possible you could make it.

I'm 2 1/2 hours away and won't get off till 5'ish. I could make it but I'd miss all the festivities during the day that would make it a real experience. I'm not expecting any awards so I don't feel the need to haul butt up there.

I've got four beers in there and will be visiting friends in Dallas Saturday but I didn't want to pony up the money ahead of time for me, my wife, and friends to attend the event not knowing for sure what our schedule would be (they're not huge beer people either). We may swing by on a whim but at $30 a pop it's doubtful.

I'd probably rant about not being able to attend the award's ceremony only on entry fees but I'm trying not to be selfish these days! :mug:

We had a great time. No wins but still fun. Next year I'm going to bring friends that aren't really into Homebrew but love beer, because they will really enjoy the tastings and pub crawl.

My only question for others who went- Texas brewing was showing they were going to have a one day sale today and had some really great deals on a couple different things. Anyone know where to find their site? The only web site I found they didnt have equipment.

I haven't seen any results posted. I know it's only 2 days since the event but the suspense is killing me. Anyone seen them anywhere?

I haven't seen any results posted. I know it's only 2 days since the event but the suspense is killing me. Anyone seen them anywhere?

No they have not posted the results yet. They were supposed to live tweet the results as well, but apparently they had "technical difficulties" and could not. Also the score sheets were not available after the awards show as they were supposed to be. I spoke with a committee member yesterday and he said they should be sent out via mail soon. I am not sure if that is related to why they have delayed posting the results.

The weekend was great, and I highly recommend anyone that can make it a full weekend next time to do so. Between the Commercial Tasting and Room Crawl on Friday night, it pays for itself in no time. I also thought it was pretty cool that the keynote speaker, Stan Hieronymus, was so available and open to chat with anyone that came up all weekend.

If I understand correctly, something went amiss in getting the scoresheet id's matched to brewers, holding up being able to have sheets available at the completion of the ceremony. They should either be in the mail now or very shortly. 1800+ entries take a little bit to process. Also, results should be up ASAP, again, from what I understand.

In RE: Texas Brewing was having an in-store sale, if I, again, gathered it correctly, all day Sunday (so folks could swing by quick as they checked out and headed home).

Latest posts

Back