Strawberry noob's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamer

Reaction score
Can you guys help me tweak a recipe? Trying to get strawberry flavor but not overpowering.

6lb Briess Gold Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract
1lb Carapils
1/2oz Centennial Hop at beginning of boil

Rack on 6lb strawberries in primary for a couple weeks.
Secondary 2 weeks.
Bottle.

Primary for 10-14 days until gravity readings show it's finished. Then rack over strawberries in secondary. Give it about 2 weeks in secondary.

Do yourself a favor and get a 5 gal paint strainer from the hardware store and use it to line your secondary (use an ale pale). Be sure to soak it in sanitizer for a bit before using it. When you're ready to transfer to the bottling bucket, you can pull the bag and all the strawberries with it, leaving only beer behind for your syphon.

Depending on how much flavor you are trying to get, you may want to puree the berries in the blender. Use a little water or vodka to help them blend. I've never worked with strawberries, but this is probably what I would do. My guess is this would result in quite a bit of juice in the beer.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

I've done 8 lbs of strawberries that were fozen from walmart. Had a great strawberry bitterness in the back, not too sweet. I really liked it, reminded me of the strawberry abita. Friday I racked the same recipe onto 6lbs of fresh strawberries. I'm hoping the fresh ones give a little more strawberry flavor. As for the recipe, I usually use a little wheat in there, then some crystal 20 for some color.

I'd wait for the primary ferment to finish, then rack onto the strawberries in the secondary for 2 weeks.

So something like this?

3lb Briess Gold Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract
3lb Wheat LME

1lb Carapils
1lb Crystal 20
1/2oz Centennial Hop at beginning of boil

This is the recipe I followed the first time I made it. The second time I adjusted it to be all-grain and use hops that I already had on hand. I think I did
0.5 oz golding 60
0.5 oz golding 30
0.5 oz cascade 5
and more like 20% wheat instead of 50, but it really depends on what you're going for in the beer.

Back