Help me decide which Stockpot to get Plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
I just ordered a really nice $300 homebrew starter kit from AHS but I dont have a stockpot yet. Since Im just getting started I dont want to spend that much on one yet, but I also dont want to buy a piece of junk so please help me decide between these two..

First is a bayou classic 24 qt found here.
http://www.bayouclassicoutlet.com/1...uart-stainless-steel-stockpot-w-lid-1024.html

Second is one on amazon 20 qt commercial grade with 3 ply bottom
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HMH60K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or if anyone knows where to get a better pot than the mentioned for the same price let me know.. Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $38 for my brewers best 20 quart SS at my LHBS
OK for the partial boils I have been doing.

Assuming you have a heat source capable of heating five gallons of water, go with the 24 quart pot. A nice boil has a way of boiling over quickly, especially if you have just added extract, and you do not want to have to clean up that mess. A bigger pot will let you do full boils with a little room to spare.

A few weeks ago, I was at a Wal-Mart with a grocery department, and I saw large stock pots near the Mexican food aisle for sale, presumably for steaming tamales. They were at least six gallons, and being sold for $25. It probably wouldn't be as nice as the other pots, but it might be worth a trip to Wal Mart.

Assuming you have a heat source capable of heating five gallons of water, go with the 24 quart pot. A nice boil has a way of boiling over quickly, especially if you have just added extract, and you do not want to have to clean up that mess. A bigger pot will let you do full boils with a little room to spare.

A few weeks ago, I was at a Wal-Mart with a grocery department, and I saw large stock pots near the Mexican food aisle for sale, presumably for steaming tamales. They were at least six gallons, and being sold for $25. It probably wouldn't be as nice as the other pots, but it might be worth a trip to Wal Mart.

I have a Natural Gas stove top is that enough to boil 5 gallons? And unfortunately I dont have a Wal Mart near me like that no super wal marts in driving distance just regular stores and they have porcelain coated steel pots..

Well after calculating shipping on these cheaper pots and realizing I can get a better pot for $15-$20 more I decided to go with a megapot 8 gallon. Should give me plenty of room, durable and work better than the pots mentioned earlier and I can add a ball valve and thermometer later if I want..

I just wish I would have realized this when I placed my order earlier with AHS, it would have been included in the 4.99 shipping so I will have to pay it again. Oh well.. Thx for the help, I think I will be happier with this pot.

MrRoboto said:
Well after calculating shipping on these cheaper pots and realizing I can get a better pot for $15-$20 more I decided to go with a megapot 8 gallon. Should give me plenty of room, durable and work better than the pots mentioned earlier and I can add a ball valve and thermometer later if I want..

I just wish I would have realized this when I placed my order earlier with AHS, it would have been included in the 4.99 shipping so I will have to pay it again. Oh well.. Thx for the help, I think I will be happier with this pot.

Good call.

Latest posts

Back