CranApfelwein Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf27

Reaction score
Just pitched a batch of this tonight.
4 Gal Tree Top Apple Juice
1 Gal Ocean Spray Cranberry
2# dextrose
Wyeast 3068
SG 1.072

CranApfelwein_12-04-09_3.JPG

It sure does look tasty. Woke up this morning to some bubble action in the airlock! Couldn't be more proud. I will give a report on this one for sure!

Wow a bunch of jokers huh?

Just some info, if you use Wyeast 3068 rig a blow off tube. I was told you really didn't need one, but at least with this combonation I am getting a lot of foam.

I think I got the recipe from you Texron on my Apfelwine recipe thread, I am hoping this comes out good, if not oh well I would be out $30.00 dollars :D

Foaming up to the airlock:
picture.php

Blow off tube:
picture.php

What a coincidence! I made this in the summer and just cracked the first bottle of it 3 days ago!

My recipe was a bit different.
1 gal batch
75% Apple juice
25% Cranberry
1.5 cups dextrose (i think, going from memory without my brew-book on hand)
1 can frozen apple juice concentrate for the back sweeten.

It ended at about the 6% mark, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on how percentages work when you back sweeten. It finished fermenting very dry, but with the back sweetening it has a very nice sharp flavour. VERY hard to put down.

I served it at my housewarming party on Saturday and it was a big hit. I only have one bottle left, but I am going to do a full batch over the holiday season.

Sounds like your in for a nice treat in the new year vvolf!

Glad to know it came out good. I have high hopes for this. Did you also use Wyeast 3068?

I think the smallest batch I would make is 3 gallons. :)

Just ordered a Okanagan Peach Icewine Style kit for my wife. It makes 3 gal.

I used champagne yeast, which is what I usually use for ciders and apfelweins, I can't remember which brand I used. What kind of yeast is wyeast 3068?

And I agree; I should have made 3 gallons at least. It was only a test batch, but I am kicking myself now. It will be the end of February before my next batch is even close to ready :(

And I named it Crapple Wine. :)

I used champagne yeast, which is what I usually use for ciders and apfelweins, I can't remember which brand I used. What kind of yeast is wyeast 3068?

3068 is Wiestephanen (sp?). Its a hefe yeast that tends to be very fruity. It tends to work very well for ciders.

Glad to know it came out good. I have high hopes for this. Did you also use Wyeast 3068?

I think the smallest batch I would make is 3 gallons. :)

Just ordered a Okanagan Peach Icewine Style kit for my wife. It makes 3 gal.

I made the Okanagan Peach Ice Wine Kit and it is incredible. My girl friend loves it! I have bought two more kits as I heard they don't make this one anymore. One kit will be made according to the instructions for my girlfriend and the other kit will be made as a pyment with six pounds of honey.

3068 is Wiestephanen (sp?). Its a hefe yeast that tends to be very fruity. It tends to work very well for ciders.

I'll have to keep my eye out for this at my LHBS. I'm heading out there before I start a new batch of Crapple Cider and I'll pick up a packet.

The GF and I had the last bottle of this last night and I am getting really excited for the next batch. :ban:

What is the process like for brewing ice wines? I know it is very difficult to grow the grapes for it, but are there any special steps in brewing the extracts?

The Ice wine is a kit, so it has everything you need to make it. The call it Ice wine style since it is not up to the true Ice wine standards (I am guessing).

I reread the original post from the guy who used Wyeast 3068 and he said he only used 1 # of sugar. That might be my problem of needing a blow off tube because I used 2# per the original recipe. I used EC 1118 for my Apfelwein and it was active, but man let me tell you, this Wyeast 3068 is crazy!! Be warned.

BTW I like the name you used for your batch, Crapple! SOunds bad, but taste oh so good!

Thanks! I figured if people will not only drink, but rave about a wine called "Cat P**S" I can have a little fun with my brew names too.

I'll keep the blow off tube in mind for the 3068. I have yet to need one, but I have heard too many horror stories about ruined floors. That would surly incur the wrath from the GF!

Well if you look at the pictures on page one, that is right after I rigged the blow off tube, it is now full of foam like you see in the closeup of my cap. My overflow bottle is now a milky white. When I checked it this morning foam was still building up inside... Maybe it will stop in a few days....

Back