Coffee Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade805

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a coffee ale? Seems stout is the most common but I enjoy a good ale and would like to try to add coffee. Should this be added during the boil or during the secondary? any help out there?

I have made several brews with coffee additions... I like to add mine on the post fermentation side of things.... Get 2oz of coarsely ground coffee, your favorite variety will work. I like Seattle style since it is so robust. Cold steep it in 12-16oz of water for 24hrs. Strain out the grounds, and if you are worried about sanitation boil the coffee toddy you made before you add it to the keg or bottling bucket. You can add coffee to the boil, or steep it like grains but it is much harder to control the amount of flavor you will get. If you boil or steep too long you will get some astringency from the coffee.

I do mine the same way but I boil water to sanitize it then cool it down and at the same time sanitize my french press. Put the cold water in the french press and add the coffe and put in the fridge for a day. I have a breakfast stout I made this way. The coffe flavor is great but doesnt add to the bitterness.

Back