Just bragging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
This weekend I picked, ground and pressed 12 gallons of cider for this years brews. The cool thing is they are all wild apple trees within one mile of my house (aside from what I believe to be Whitney Crabs, still within one mile). Now I just have to wait till March to get to taste any of the finished product.
While there is nothing wrong with store bought cider, there is something very satisfying going through all the steps and doing it with local trees.
Happy cidering,
Scott

Sounds great, wildlings are a traditional source of cider apples. I have heard of people taking the casings off their disposal units to help them cool.
Are you going to bottle early or bulk age?

So far I ferment it for 2-3 weeks and then let it sit in the secondary for 4-5 months. It takes me about 3 weeks to bottle carb. I'm thinking 4 three gallon batches, two at a time. My recipe is simple... Cider and yeast, no sugar. Nottingham ale is this years yeast.
Scott
Thanks for the tip with the grinder. Considering I only do this one weekend a year, I'll put up with the grinders faults.

Latest posts

Back