backsweetening calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadymi

Reaction score
I have a cyser stbilized with sorbate and sulphite. It fermented dry, I then added 1 can of frozen concentrate (5.71 ounces sugar) by my calculations.
This brought it to 1.004. I want to go to 1.025. How do I calculate how much sugar I need?

Not enough info....When you added the sorbate and sulfides what was the SG? How big is the batch? Also what was the starting SG (OG)? Out of curiosity how and why did you come up with the 1.025 number? I'm fairly new at this myself and was wondering.

Does it have to be to scientific and calculated. Backsweeten a little then taste. Backsweeten a little more till it meets your taste buds expectations. Don't forget to record what you did for the next batch.

Rule of thumb , to bump your gravity by 40 points you can add one pound of sugar per gallon. So to add 20 points of gravity, you need 5x half pounds of sugar, or about 2.5 lbs.

I'd like to know also why you want to up the gravity to 1.025. That's going to be SUPER sweet, and not exaggerating.

SG at stabilization was .998
5 gal batch
1.025 may be High, I have plenty of dry cider to blend (made 35 gallons last fall) I tend to prefer fairly sweet wines so I wanted to try it sweet. I guess doing a small sample would be the wise thing to do.
I was hoping for a formula that would help me get from point A to point B without so much trial and error.

I ended up adding a lb of corn sugar. I havn't tested sg yet but it tasted pretty good. I will let it sit a couple of weeks to make sure it's stable then check sg and bottle.

You calculate your points per pound. Sucrose is 46. So
points*pounds
For one pound 46*1
(ppg*poundsused)/volume*.001
(46/volume)*.001= points added to sg

5 gallons

46/5*.001= .0092

So if your fg was 1.01, after adding 1 lb of table sugar to it, your gravity would be 1.0192

Sorry if it's all a bit convoluted, on my cell

You calculate your points per pound. Sucrose is 46. So
points*pounds
For one pound 46*1
(ppg*poundsused)/volume*.001
(46/volume)*.001= points added to sg

5 gallons

46/5*.001= .0092

So if your fg was 1.01, after adding 1 lb of table sugar to it, your gravity would be 1.0192

Sorry if it's all a bit convoluted, on my cell

Exactly what I was looking for.......Thanks a ton

I also learn something today. I pick up something new every day it seems like. Love this forum.......

Btw, you can figure your grain additions the same way, its just the ppg that you get is your full potential. If you get 80 percent mash efficiency then you would end up with 80% of that potential basically.

SG at stabilization was .998
5 gal batch
1.025 may be High, I have plenty of dry cider to blend (made 35 gallons last fall) I tend to prefer fairly sweet wines so I wanted to try it sweet. I guess doing a small sample would be the wise thing to do.
I was hoping for a formula that would help me get from point A to point B without so much trial and error.

I have tested the SG of several sweet wine's from local vineyards that I like. They all tested in the range of 1.015 to 1.020.

Back