Dry hopping with fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadezilla

Reaction score
So below is a picture of my secondary fermenter with with one ounce of cascade hops for dry hopping. I didn't have a hop sock and I read on here that some people just throw fresh hops in the carboy, but i've swirled and swirled and they don't sink. I guess I should have put the hops in the carboy before racking into it. My question is will the hoppy aroma and flavor be extracted efficiently with the hops concentrated on top of the beer? And I planned on hopping for two weeks before bottling, is that too long? Thanks everyone!

ForumRunner_20121230_165007.jpg

Looks fine just the way it is. Two weeks is a bit long but it should be fine. I dry hop my IPA's for about a week (sometimes just a few days) for fresh aroma and flavor.

This is exactly how I dry hop all the time. I usually leave mine like that for one to two weeks, most of the hops will have fallen to the bottom in that time.
My suggestion to you is to purchase a 5 gallon paint strainer mesh bag, sanitize it along with your racking cane and put it over your racking cane prior to racking from the Carboy to your bottling bucket or keg. This will strain the hops, keeping them from clogging up your cane. works really well for me.
Cheers!

Thanks Worksnorth! Do you think a good cold crash would help, too? Like a week? I don't have a fridge that the carboy will fit in so I was going to place it on the back patio where it spoof be around 40-45°

Thanks aiptasia. Do you think going longer than a week imparts any unwanted flavors?

If your racking into an ale pale I doubt any hops will make it into bottles anyway. Mesh bag over racking cane will suffice. Might get some of those tiny black seeds though- not a big deal, nor is one little flower petal, if one did manage to sneak in there.

And two weeks shouldn't be too bad but one week is probably fine to avoid a skunkieness.

Sure cold crashing will help it clear up, I'm doing that as we chat, hold on I'll post a pic

image-2569490496.jpg

May be hard to see but the majority of the hops have fallen to the bottom, it's ready to keg/bottle just waiting for a keg to free up. I crash mine at about 33 degrees because I can, you can try it at what ever temp you have available to you.

This just reminds me of when I had some flower hops chilling in some yeast cake for awhile. One day SWMBO told me my yeast was growing mushrooms. Haha freaked me out until I realized what she meant.

My two cents.... I dry hopped the current pale ale I'm drinking for two weeks and it may very well be the best pale I've brewed. Just saying that I don't think two weeks is too long. I've also dry hopped for three days, seven days and have dry hopped in the keg. Course the hopping in the keg involved making sure the hops pulled out of the beer as the keg level dropped.
Have no fear.... hop your beer!!!!
:)

Course the hopping in the keg involved making sure the hops pulled out of the beer as the keg level dropped.

Course many people (myself included) dry hop in the keg and just leave it submerged until the keg blows. I've never had off flavors from this, and some of my beers lasted +3 months.

Have no fear.... hop your beer!!!!:)

Truer words have never been spoken! :mug:

I say run the entire 2 weeks. If you want, after 10 days throw it in the fridge (or take it outside in that unheated garage) for a 4 day cold crash.

Back