Need input on possible stuck stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctayl9jq

Reaction score
Alright I have a question regarding a stout i made a few weeks ago. I had the following grain bill, and then added 1/4 cup lactose, I am not a fan of milk stouts, but I wanted some sweetness, so 1/4 a cup isnt too much.

I hit my OG of 1.074 cooled, and pitched my yeast, WLP004 (without a starter, I was being lazy), after a few days it was bubbling away and after a 9 days I was at 1.030. let it sit a bit longer, checked again 1.030. I have moved it to a warmer temp, it was at ~68, and trying to reactivate the yeast.

I am thinking it should get down to 1.020, however I am not sure how my addition of lactose is effecting the FG. Any input, with the lactose not being fermentable, should i be shooting more for a 1.030 FG? If not, could i pitch some S-04 and bring it down a bit more?

9 # Pale Malt, 2 Row, UK
3 # Flaked Barley
1 # 12 OZ Flaked Oats
13 OZ American Black Patent
12 OZ Roasted Barley - 550L

Pitched WLP004 WITHOUT starter- probably a mistake

I think lactose adds like 8 points per lb per 5 gallon. I don't know how much a quarter cup weighs, but I can't imagine it adding more than like a point or two to your FG.

So I am thinking it should get down to 1.02 or so, I'm guessing it may be stuck thoughts In putting in s-04?

For reference, here's a good website on non-barley fermentables.

At 59% Apparent Attenuation, I would doubt that you're done, but depending on the age of the WLP004 vial, you may have not had many viable cells in there. I would pitch a healthy starter at high activity and see what happens if you're really stuck.

Funny you say that about the age. I got home from lhbs put up my supplies and notice the use by date said sept. 2012. I thought that was weird, but figured it shouldnt be an issue. I should have made a starter. So you are saying buy another tube of yeast and make a starter and repitch?

Funny you say that about the age. I got home from lhbs put up my supplies and notice the use by date said sept. 2012. I thought that was weird, but figured it shouldnt be an issue. I should have made a starter. So you are saying buy another tube of yeast and make a starter and repitch?

Yes. But make it at least 2L.

What was your mash temp? If you mashed at a higher temperature, that combined with underpitching the yeast and using some less fermentable ingredients, you may not get much (if any) lower than you are right now.

I mashed @156 attempting a sweeter wort. I was still expecting fg to fall below 1.030, I know it's a little high.

Ctayl9jq said:
I mashed @156 attempting a sweeter wort. I was still expecting fg to fall below 1.030, I know it's a little high.

156 is kind of high plus you added the lactose so you may not get much lower than it is, try to rouse the yeast and warm it up a few degrees before re-pitching. IMO if that doesn't move it, it's done.

Yeah it tastes ok, but I would prefer a bit more alcohol upfront, it's a winter Warmer. Right now you can taste 0 alcohol. I am debating in options now if my repitched yeast doesn't work

Ctayl9jq said:
Yeah it tastes ok, but I would prefer a bit more alcohol upfront, it's a winter Warmer. Right now you can taste 0 alcohol. I am debating in options now if my repitched yeast doesn't work

If its not too sweet and you just want more booze, adding sugar would probably make that happen. I bet most people who have responded were worried it was too sweet. The sugar should ferment out nearly completely just producing a higher abv in the final product.

That is exactly what I was thinking maybe add a bit of sugar. How much sugar is needed?

When experimenting like this, I'd bottle half of it. Then add 0.5-1 lbs of sugar and let it ferment for a few weeks. That way you have some good beer if the experiment doesn't work that well. Take this advice with a grain of salt though. I'd probably just bottle the whole thing because I don't really like my beer to be too boozy.

You could also just add bourbon to it until you like he flavor. If you do this, pull off a pint and slowly add until you figure out how much to add o the full batch.

If you want MORE alcohol warmth, and the FG is on the higher side, I would definitely say sugar is the way to go.

Adding sugar = more alcohol, lower FG.

I'd start with a pound, dissolved in as little water as you can, give it a week and see how it tastes, then decide if you want to add more.

Back