Martinelli's Apple Mead??? Request for Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voterrwest

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently (3 weeks ago) put some Red Star Cote des Blancs dry wine yeast in a 1.5L glass bottle of Martinelli's Apple Cider, threw an airlock on it, and let it ferment. I also threw in some dry roasted pecans, after crushing them and checking for oil with a paper towel. No sugar was added. Just cider and yeast.

When the fermentation was done, I poured out a shot of it, filtered the rest, and wax sealed it in another bottle. I used a siphon, so aeration shouldn't be a problem, and the cider should still be clean.

It's been sitting for two weeks now, and after considering the taste of the shot I poured out, I want something stronger. I was wondering if it is possible to take my fermented cider, throw it in a one gallon bottle with a pound, pound and a half of honey, and let that ferment for however long it takes.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Can I even ferment something like this? (One complete ferment as the base for a second fermentation)

2.) Do I have to use the same yeast? Any suggested strains available at my local HBS?

3.) What's a good amount of honey / water / ??? to add to 1.5L of cider to make a one gallon jug of Apple Cider Mead?

Thanks for the help, providing there is any, and if not, thanks for reading this far.

An Apple Cider Mead, or 'Cyser', is exactly what I do for my Holidays Spiced Cyser using using 4 gallons ( or enough for a total volume of 5 finished gallons) of Martinelli's and then honey to the O. G. that I want. I haven't tasted this batch yet, too young, but I can tell you it smells Wonderful!

DO IT!! I made a batch of Joe's Ancient Mead but instead of spring water I used Indian Summer Apple juice. It is one of the best things I have ever made!!!:ban: I am going to make a 5 gallon batch as soon as I move out of my apt. next month. It had a very high S.G. and came out a little sweet but it is 15.5 abv.:tank:

Back