2nd ferm. stopped 4 days ago, ok to bottle still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalesSpin

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch and have been really busy with life and not had time to bottle. Fermentation finished, then I gave it another 2 days to make sure. No more burps/bubble from the air lock. Now it's been at least 4-5 days and I am wondering if it is still ok to bottle (does the yeast form spores and survive, then reinvigorate with more food)?

If not, can I just go get another packet of the same yeast and plop it in there with my charging sugar, give it a few mins, then bottle?

Also, is it recommended to disturb the liquid a bit to distribute the dormant yeast some before bottling? I ask because last batch a few did not charge at all but some were really well charged. Why the inconsistency?

Trying to bottle tonight if possible! Thanks y'all!

Make sure that you add your priming sugar mix as directed to the bottom of the bottling bucket prior to racking your beer to the bottling bucket. Then stir very gently with the auto siphon to insure even mixing of the priming sugar solution. Improper mixing could lead to unevenly carved beer bottles.

It's also no problem leaving your beer in the secondary for a few days at all, a few weeks will likely not even do it any harm, it will only mellow, mature, and clarify more, which are all good things.

Do not add additional yeast. There is plenty still in suspension. As the others above me have stated, make sure you mix the priming sugar well without splashing.

Also, don't add anymore yeast, it's not needed as there are always yeast in solution so when you add in the priming sugar solution it jump starts the yeast just enough to create the carbonization. Don't rush your beer out of the primary or secondary because if fermentation just ended a few days ago you could let it sit for a couple weeks prior to bottling.

Back