White fuzz and brown crust on glass above beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacounts3

Reaction score
I'm in need of some advice. I just brewed my first batch (1 gallon size) of beer 2 days ago. I checked on it the next day and it looked like all of the sludge that should be floating on top of the beer has blown up and is stuck to the glass portion of the bottle above the beer line. There is also some white fuzzy looking places in the upper neck of the bottle.

There is still sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I have not noticed the air valve in the airlock moving at all either.

Should I be worried? I'm thinking I may have added too much of the yeast or something of that nature. I was very strict with sanitation and followed the instructions, but I may have messed up somewhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm just being a rookie and over thinking everything!

Sound like its fine. It is what yeast does. Fermenting isn't a pretty picture. Speaking of, do you have a Pic of it ?

Thanks for the reassurance BxBrewer. I just took some pictures.

Beer Ferment 1.jpg

Beer Ferment 2.jpg

It's called krausen. It's the yeast forming on top of the beer. That's EXACTLY what you want. It will fall through and clear the beer and end up as trub in the bottom of the fermenter near when the beer is done.

Here's a time lapsed video of what is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
The brownish green sludge is called Krausen, the white stuff looks like yeast that was stuck to the neck of the bottle when you poured it in.

I would not be concerned unless it is literally growing fur and looks like mold.

Thanks for all the information; I feel much better now. I'm really glad I found this forum early in my brewing career. Everyone has great information and replies to questions very quickly. Thanks again everyone

White stuff does indeed look like mold. It's possible that it won't have a bad effect on the beer. But in my one recent experience with it, it will be a sign of flavor problems.

Hate to be the voice of dissent, but I speak from experience. I hope I'm wrong.

It looks like mold to me too, but it may just be growing on that bit of krausen. I. I would consider racking the beer over to a new container just to prevent the mold from getting into your beer. Do you have another 1 gallon jug you could move it to? If not, leave it be and be careful when packaging.

I don't have another jug as of now, but will be ordering another one for the future. I'll keep my eye on it and be careful while bottling. I'll keep everyone updated if the beer comes out tasting bad.

Back