Priming sugar before cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoupNazi

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I usually bottle straight from the primary, unless the recipe requires a secondary.

My problem is that when bottling, I usually rouse up quite a bit of yeast when I add priming sugar and lightly stir. Even when I wait a bit after stirring, I end up with too much yeast in the bottles.

My recent keggerator(Not functional yet, thus still bottling) purchase gives me a perfect place to now cold crash.

So my questions Are:

1. Is it OK to add the priming sugar, stir, cold crash for 2 days, then bottle? Never done it in that order before.
2. After cold crashing, does the beer need to reach room temp before bottling?

Making sure my DFH 60' IPA doesnt go to waste. ;)

Thanks! :rockin:

If that's your only reason for cold crashing, I would just bite the bullet and rack to a bottling bucket. Sound like less work than lugging your fermenter around.

If that's your only reason for cold crashing, I would just bite the bullet and rack to a bottling bucket. Sound like less work than lugging your fermenter around.

I agree... If you're bottling, you're going to be many times over better off moving the brew to the bottling bucket, onto the priming solution than trying to bottle from primary. I wouldn't even try to bottle from primary with priming sugar.

I would also move the primary to where you'll rack from at least several hours ahead of time. If you use highly flocculating yeast, they'll settle back down really well. If you didn't use such yeast, then I would move it a day (or more) ahead of time.

Granted, it's easy to rack from primary to keg (with a CO2 push), but that's a different thread. :D

The priming sugar may ferment as it chills. Just rack or don't and then place the fermented beer in the keezer. When 2 or 3 days passes, transfer it to a bucket with the sugar while cold. Bottle it and store at room temp.

Back