5 year old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdenton

Reaction score
hello again

It is nice to be back on the forums.

I found a case of my Paulner Heffe clone that I made 5 or 6 years ago

Would this still be good to drink or would it make me sick.
I think I see a layer in the bottom of each bottle of maybe the wheat but it is hard to tell

I pured a glass but wasnt brave enough to drink it.

There was a very small head on it but not much.

I don't think it will make you sick. It might not taste the greatest. The layer on the bottom is probably yeast and a little sediment. Still being carbed is a plus!

Just having a taste won't get you sick.

And even then, I don't *believe* it would be too dangerous to drink, if it had a bad infection, you wouldn't get passed a single sip it would taste so bad. That being said, I don't know if I personally would drink something that old though. The oldest homebrew I've drank was 2 years old or so and it was fine, fairly bland, not nearly as aromatic as when it was much fresher.

I can't think of anything that might grow in the beer that could be dangerous. That being said, while safe to drink, I'm not sure it's something you really want to drink. Taste it and find out!

Was it stored at the same temperature for all that time? Was it stored in a light free place? There are no known bugs in beer that will make you sick.
Taste it, see if it is good or bad.

It was stored with my brewing supplies in the basment in a cabinet so the temp may have changed a little from winter to summer but it was out of the light at least.

Maybe ill get brave and try a sip tonight after I put one in the fridge.

do it... I put 10 year old Nov. 2003 Arrogant Bastard in my mouth the other night and it was glorious and Arrogant Bastard isn't "meant" to be aged.

-=Jason=-

rofl I love it

Yeah, just try it. Might not have aged very well and you might have some oxidation, but it won't hurt you.

To quote Revvy, "Nothing pathogenic can survive in beer". If the beer was packaged properly there would be nothing in the bottle to grow. Age will change the flavor a bit, hops will fade, other notes will emerge or blend or fade. It will be beer still. It may not be good, it may be so-so. It may taste okay. Some get better with some age. Drink it. You never know what you have until you try it.

Last night I drank a beer that had been in the bottles for 3 years. It was just fine although the spices I had added had lost all their flavor.

Over the weekend I had a belgin quad that was 4 years old from another home brewer and it was awesome!

Back