Jamil's Cream Ale - Flakes Rice or Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
Hey all! This next batch of beer will be my second all-grain brew; my first was Jamil's American Pale Ale. This time, I would like to do a slightly simpler recipe with a little less grain. I would like to make a Czech Pilsener, but I don't have the means to lager. So instead, I've decided to make Jamil's Cream Ale recipe. I figure it is something my father and brother will like. I'm sure my fiancee and I will dig it too. No one but myself has drank much of my homebrew (4 beers now). I would like the experience of having others enjoy what I make.

Ok, that's the background, now to my question. Jamil's recipe says to use either flaked rice or corn. I suppose I could just choose one and go with it...but I would rather make an informed choice, if possible.

What are the differences in beer taste between flaked rice and flaked corn ingredients?

Do you have experience with these grains and do you have a recommendation?

Thank you! :)

I can submit my own experience and also that information which has been shared to me.

Generally Rice is practically untasteable in a beer. It's a good way to boost the alcohol content and maybe some mouthfeel, while keeping the beer light and clean. I have not yet brewed with rice, so this is second hand information. Bud uses rice.

Corn at a certain level will impart a slight flavor. I'm not sure I'd call it corn flavor, but I generally prefer a corn-based beer over a rice based beer. I have brewed a lager with corn. Miller uses corn in their beer. Most of the premium american lagers that I prefer seem to use corn.

YMMV

Both would be "appropriate" for style, and I doubt either would impart enough taste to upset the beer. It's really just a matter of choose one and try it. I think the type and amount of hops is really where you need to focus. It's easy to overdo a light beer like a cream ale.

I'm preparing to use that rice I bought in a Golden Wheat beer I'm putting together. We'll see what happens.

You can split the difference and use both. For my taste buds I found that the Cream Ale I brewed took 6 months for the corn to mellow to the point that I liked the beer. So if I brew anymore Cream Ales I would use a small or zero amount of Corn.

Back