AleSmith IPA w/ San Diego yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foyboy

Reaction score
I am trying to push a batch of AleSmith IPA using WL San Diego Super yeast.Was wondering if the fast fermenting WL Super yeast will ferment out so fast that I will miss on all the flavor and be left with hops thats it.?

i think you are a bit misguided on fermentation. Clean, to me, means no off flavors, neutral contribution to taste from the yeast. So for an IPA, minimal to no perceivable esters, no fusels, no phenols. Just clean, neutral yeast. That is obtained by pitching the correct amount of yeast, properly aerating, pitching at the right temperature, and maintaining correct and consistent fermentation temperatures (on the lower end of the yeast ideal temp - so for WLP090 i would do 64-65 WORT temperature).

Just because it ferments fast doesn't mean anything. It isn't going to blow all of the character right out of the airlock. Your flavor comes from the malts, hops and yeast used. Now, as for mouthfeel, that depends on your recipe and OG/FG so if you post that up you can get a little more help in that department.

I guess I am just rambling ! I follow what your sayingbut I am just weary of a faster yeast .My brew went perfect ---Alesmith IPA recipe Grains 152@90 min----boil 90 min--------F Flight bittering -flavoring and aroma---counterflow to carboy @68-------Had a San Diego Super 2000ml starter(24hour)w/oxygen------stir plate --1.078 O.G. and lots of OXYGEN ----looooonnnnng continuous farting bubbles out of blowoff!

if anything a faster/cleaner yeast is more ideal for an IPA since hop flavor/aroma is key and are better younger

i just kegged an Imperial Black Ale using SDSY and really love the clean flavor and hop focus but still allows some of the malt and roast to come through

edit: of course that assumes you can keep your ferm temps stable during peak activity

Latest posts

Back