Back sweetening with Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
I'm sure this information is out there some where but I'm in a hurry-I need to bottle tonight. I've got 2.5 gallons of cider made out of Tree Top and WLP Cider yeast and nothing else. It's fermented dry to 1.00.

It still tastes like apples but I would like to sweeten it a little bit. I have a lb of Lactose laying around. Can someone give me a feel for how much to add to get a taste drier than Strongbow but wetter than I have now?

Hi Ravenshead. I don't think lactose 'sweetens' cider, to our taste-buds at least. Mix a little bit in water and see what you think.

If you decide to use lactose, for a 5 gallon batch of beer, I use 1 lb of lactose (in a cream stout). So, you could start with 1/2 lb and see how it is.

Thanks, I tasted the dry lactose after my post and noticed the same thing.

I used 1/8 LB in 2.5 gallons. If it doesn't do much I'm not worried. I only wanted add a very little sweetness, almost just body.

It's an experiment to me but my family loves cider and like it dry. I just keep making apfelwine by mistake. :D

This one is close but just a tiny bit too dry I think.

Back