Hops Seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanz72

Reaction score
Has anyone grown hops from seeds? Reason I'm asking is because last spring I purchased some hops seeds cheap and I was gonna grow them, but I never got around to it. It had more to do with having to build a hops trellis, which from what I heard would have to be quite solid and at least 7 feet tall, to accommodate the sheer size of the plant when it grows. It was a project that I couldn't dedicate much time to, so it fell by the wayside. I guess my question is if anybody here grew good hops from seeds. From what I seen, most posters recommend getting the rhizomes of a known variety and going from there. The seeds are labeled Humulus Lupus, which I believe refers to all hops varieties. I hope the seeds are still good for next spring, and hope I have more ambition than I did this past year..

I don't know .... the only problem I see I guess is that only a female plant will produce hops. And seeing that many plants take a couple of years to produce many hops even from ryzomes that a long time to wait to tell. Maybe others have more insite.

The only people I know that grow hops from seeds are hop breeders. Your seeds are a little like a pig in a poke. They might produce good hops, but more likely they are ornamentals. As mentioned, only the female plants produce flowers & having male plants around will divert energy from making resin to producing seeds.

Ryzomes are only a few bucks each, you'll know what you are getting & typically, you don't need a big (12-16 feet, not 7) trellis until the second year.

Latest posts

Back