Maximizing use of my sole fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
So a little while back, completely due to you guys here my eyes were opened to the amazing difference having your fermentation temperature controlled can make. I refuse to go back..... but now I'm constrained by the limitations of how much space is in my chamber (room for 2 buckets/carboys).

Most of the beers I do get 3 weeks in primary, couple days cold crash then off to kegs/bottles. I would like to brew more frequently than once a month.

Is there any schedule that's feasible to utilize the fermentation chamber early in the beers life then pull it out and stuff them in my 65F basement once high krausen has finished and limit the chance of off flavors.... in turn freeing up the temperature controlled environment for another fresh 10 gallons?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

What is the reason for the three week schedule in the first place? Its common practice but if the beer is finished...go ahead and keg/bottle. Ramping up the temp at the tail end of fermentation might help finish quicker and clean up faster.

3 weeks to finish cleaning up byproducts. I've been fermenting around 62-67 depending on strain. Sure I'm at FG after a week but I don't think the brew is ready to drink after 7 days

Fermentation control is most critical in the first 48 hours, and then to a lesser extent to ensure full attenuation and clean up of diacetyl, etc.

I don't think your beer will suffer much -- if at all -- from being moved to your 65F basement after one or two weeks. You may not attenuate quite as much as if you ramped up to 70F for the last bit of fermentation, but we're likely only talking about a couple of gravity points and it doesn't sound like you're ramping up temperature anyway, given that you've got as many as three beers in there at different stages of fermentation.

No I don't ramp up... well so far I have not had the need to. Only cold crash.

So 10 days primary then stuff in basment for another 7 at room temps then back to freezer for cold crashing 3 days at 32F?

Basically freeing up the fermentation chamber after a week and a half...... I could live with that.

Any ale strains off the top of your heads that this might not be wise to do with?

I do this. I just plan my brewing around the ferm chamber availability.

I recently built a bigger ferm chamber, but before that I'd ferment for the first 2-3 weeks in the ferm chamber, then move the carboy to my basement to finish up. I'd move it back right before bottling to cold crash. That worked well during Spring-Fall. I couldn't do it during the winter because it gets a little too cold in my basement.

I brew almost every saturday for much of the winter. It goes into the ferment chamber saturday. Lagers are usually pulled out on thursday to come up to room temp for a few day d-rest before kegging and lagering. Ales usually I pull out by friday afternoon, active fermenting or not, and sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks to finish and clean up.

If you're concerned about 65 not being warm enough to finish you could use the water tub with aquarium heater method. I've done it and works quite well.

Ok I can handle that. Totally doable and makes sense.

Thanks for the advice fellas!

i stuck a stc-1000 onto a heat belt, when ales are getting towards done in proper temp controlled ferm chamber i pull them out and put them on the heat belt to make sure temp doesn't dip, and to ramp up a bit as fermentation finishes. some yeasts are happy to finish up in slightly cooler or fluctuating ambient temps but tempermental high flocculators aren't to be trusted!

Back