Can I use this relay to power/control a 12VDC computer fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
http://www.bestelecs.com/download/songlerelay/SRD-12VDC-SL-C.pdf

fvl194.jpg

I purchased one of these for a different project but would like to use it to control some 12VDC fans.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Assuming you power the coil with 12VDC and pass the same 12VDC through the relay to the fan? What is your power supply?

Yes you can use that for fans. It's way overkill, but as long as your fans aren't drawing over 10 A you're set. Are you using a uC to control the relays? If so, you could just use a 2N2222 transistor switch for small PC size fans, or a MOSFET, either of which would be cheaper and have a smaller footprint.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Assuming you power the coil with 12VDC and pass the same 12VDC through the relay to the fan? What is your power supply?

I'm pushing some other 12VDC devices as well, but here is what I'm using.

Yes you can use that for fans. It's way overkill, but as long as your fans aren't drawing over 10 A you're set. Are you using a uC to control the relays? If so, you could just use a 2N2222 transistor switch for small PC size fans, or a MOSFET, either of which would be cheaper and have a smaller footprint.

I had that 4 relay board left over from my previous brewtroller build and would like to use it in this new fermtroller build. I'd like to use 2 fans per relay (2 by the freezer part of the mini fridge, and 2 in each fermentation chamber) and the 4th relay would be connected to an SSR for controlling power to the mini fridge.

I had that 4 relay board left over from my previous brewtroller build and would like to use it in this new fermtroller build. I'd like to use 2 fans per relay (2 by the freezer part of the mini fridge, and 2 in each fermentation chamber) and the 4th relay would be connected to an SSR for controlling power to the mini fridge.

I see now. That should work fine. You can probably just drive the SSR right from your uC. I had some question about that when I started my current project, but I was reassured by a few people that it would work and it does. There's also no reason you couldn't drive it from the relay board, just unnecessary. Leaving it off would free up one of those relays to run a small heater of some sort.

Latest posts

Back