Maple Bacon porter recipe (feedback)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
Main ingredents
7 lbs. of liquid amber extract
5 ounces of chocolate malt
5 ounces of black patent malt
5 ounces cherrywood smoked malt
10 ounces crystal malt (60L)
24 oz of grade A maple syrup (amber)
Or Syrup of your choice, so long as its 100% maple
1.5 oz English Fuggles hoppps (60 m)
.5 oz English fuggles hopps (15)
Safeale British ale yeast
1 package of dextrose sugar (priming)
Dry hopping
1-3 ounces of oven fried (oil drained) bacon
One ounce per gallon

that's the general recipe that I've gotten so far (from other peoples attempts) at a bacon styled beer.

I have a lot of friends that would LOVE to finance me to make this for them, so its very appealing to at least try, but I have to know, does my recipe sound any good?

and has anyone enjoyed their bacon beer? The reason why I only specified about a ounce of bacon per gallon is because I cannot eat/drink bacon(jew/vegetarain) and only wanted to dry hop 3/5ths of my brew to meet the bacon demand (the rest I plan on keeping as a simple maple porter).

Id probably start this one as soon as I finish up the guiness clone recipe I found (2-4 weeks from now)

Interesting, go for it! I've never used bacon in beer, but have read that your technique of oven frying should work to remove the fat which you don't want in the fermenter.

The only other suggestion I would make is to add the maple syrup to the secondary, like I would Belgian candy sugar or honey.

One of my friends asked me today to help him make a Bacon beer, i might try this but i think i will put both the bacon and the maple syrup in secondary. Lots more control over how big of a bacon maple flavor it will add.

Maybe i will just put bacon in a hop rocket and filter from fermentor to keg through it :p

Im kind of excited to get this going!

Latest posts

Back