Old Equipment Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranus

Reaction score
Hello,
I was recently the recipient of some older homebrewing equipment. I know that none of it has been used for about 7-10 years and I am wondering if it is still ok to use. There is a little bit of gunk in the bottom of one of the plastic fermentors. If I can scrub it clean and rinse it out with bleach should it be ok to use? Or, should I just pony up a the extra dollars and get a new primary and secondary fermentor?

Thank You

I might be a little leary about the plastic. How much "gunk" are we talking? If it's just some dust and stuff that washes out. You mightt be fine. If it has stains that will never come out, I'd pass. Personally I'd be more likely to trust old glass far more than old plastic that I don't know where it's been.

You could put a scoop of Oxiclean Free in and fill the buckup to the rim with water. Let it sit overnight, dump and rince. If it's clean with no scratches, you could be OK.

Before you do anything else, take a mallet and smack the buckets a couple times. Somewhere between a "love tap (1)" and a "you worthless worm (10)". The plastics do get brittle after a while. If they bounce, scrub them out, sanitize them, check for scratches. Take a close look at the gaskets in the lids as well.

I would test it as david_42 suggests. Give it a hit around magnitude 3 or 4.

Good luck

- magno

Latest posts

Back