Flip my Hefe keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Was thinking about flipping my keg of Hefe so some of the yeast gets back into circulation and I get some more of the fresh flavor back. Any of you guys do this?

I have swirled mine around a little bit to pick up some of the yeast if it has been sitting for some time.

jhall4 said:
Absolutely. Standard practice for kegged hefs.

Cool. So what, disconnect fittings and let sit upside down overnight or just shake a bit and relieve pressure?

Disconnect, flip, shake gently or swirl, flip back over and hook it back up. I wouldn't purge any gas.

A tidbit: I believe many commercials store and ship their unfiltered hefe sankes upside down. When the bar flips it to hook it up, voila, yeast.

Disconnect, flip, shake gently or swirl, flip back over and hook it back up. I wouldn't purge any gas.

A tidbit: I believe many commercials store and ship their unfiltered hefe sankes upside down. When the bar flips it to hook it up, voila, yeast.

Exactly!

It only takes a little bit of agitation to get the yeast back into suspension.

Back