Priming sugar and FG measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I just bottled my kaiser alt a few minutes ago, the sample tasted great although the FG measurement came out kinda high at a 1.021. I didn't grab my sample before I put the priming sugar in so I was wondering if my 1.021 might be off because of the priming sugar. How bad will 5 oz of sugar throw off a FG measurement? thanks for any info.

It was in the primary for 28 days, and it looked like the yeast had done all the clean up that it was going to do. It was supposed to be a bit dryer but I think I may have mashed a few degrees higher than it was supposed to be. I have the bottles in a cardboard box with a blanket over them, so if I do end up with bottle bombs hopefully I'll just have a small mess to clean up, lol. When I drank the sample it tasted a little "worty", kinda like the smell of pouring a fresh boiled wort into the fermenter. The recipe has 87% munich malt which I think is why it kinda tastes like fresh wort, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the info.

Back